CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1182736
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182736.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 00:05:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Sunningwell
National Grid Reference:
SP 49572 00532

Details

SUNNINGWELL SP4900 17/142 Church of St. Leonard 09/02/66 GV II* Church. C13: late C15 tower, south transept and fenestration: west porch built 1571 for Bishop Jewel. Restored 1870 and 1902. Uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; lead roof, except old tiles to chancel roof. Chancel and nave with south transept, transeptal north tower and heptagonal west porch. Late C13 three-light east window: 2-bay side walls of chancel have C15 ogee-headed windows, divided by offset buttress to south. C15 south transept has 3-light cinquefoil-headed windows except early C16 three-light segmental-arched west window. 2-bay south wall of nave has similar C15 windows with restored mullions and heads flanking blocked C13 two-light window without mullion: north wall of nave has similar C15 windows. C15 three-stage transeptal north tower: C15 one-, 2- and 3-light windows and crenellated parapet with gargoyles. West porch of 1571 in Gothic and Classical style: Tudor-arched doorway with classical entablature and cinquefoil-headed lights are divided by unfluted Ionic columns surmounted by classical entablature. Interior: reredos, piscina and mosaic floor of c.1870. Fine medieval-style floor tiles depict Revelations Chapter 4. C16 collar truss with king stud, and chancel arch of c.1902. Nave has Jacobean pulpit, C15 octagonal pulpit and C17 bench-ends with huge poppyheads similar to those at Radley Church (q.v.). C16 five-bay roof has arch braces springing from vertical side struts into which are tenoned hollow-chamfered purlins with jowled ends. C15 hollow-chamfered arch to north tower, which has narrow C15 doorway to stairs. Similar double-chamfered arch to north transept which has C15 five-bay parclose screen with foiled heads and early C18 panelled double-leaf doors. Monuments: memorial reset in chancel floor to Margaret Fell, widow of Dean of Christ Church, d.1657, and others of the Fell family. Late C17 plain oval wall tablet to Mary, daughter of Sir Thomas Throckmorton, d.1632, and her children: late C17 epitaph to their in-laws, the Baskervilles. Plain wall tablets in nave to Blower family (early C18), Joseph Barnett, rector, d.1796, and Caroline Stonehouse d.1810. Stained glass: mainly 1902. Fine east window by J.P. Seddon, of The Adoration of the Shepherds and the Magi in Pre-Raphaelite style. The porch was built for Bishop Jewel to commemorate his incumbency at Sunningwell Parish before becoming Bishop of Salisbury. (V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.423; Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.234-5; Bodleian Library M.S. Top. Berkshire. C51, no.108 for south view of church in early C19; National Buildings Record).

Listing NGR: SP4957200532

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249819
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 423
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 234-5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03198/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr David J Mazey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].