ORANGERY AND GATEHOUSE AT ASHCOMBE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1184004
Date first listed:
27-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
ORANGERY AND GATEHOUSE AT ASHCOMBE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ORANGERY AND GATEHOUSE AT ASHCOMBE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184004.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 19:15:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
ORANGERY AND GATEHOUSE AT ASHCOMBE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Berwick St. John
National Grid Reference:
ST 93360 20155

Details

ST 92 SW BERWICK ST. JOHN -

5/42 Orangery and gatehouse at Ashcombe House

GV II

Orangery or stables, now studio, with attached gatehouse. Early C18. Flemish bond brick with limestone dressings, corrugated- iron hipped roof. L-plan; the truncated remains of a larger range, with the gatehouse formerly central. Single-storey, 5-bay garden front with gatehouse to left and projecting 3-bay wing to right. Round-arched gateway has Gibbs surround, dentilled pediment with oculus, chamfered rusticated quoins, to right are four round-arched openings with keystones and casements; formerly 2 windows and 2 doors, to right is arched doorway with fanlight. Return of wing to right has 2 round-arched casements and central door with fanlight, all in recessed arched panels with keystones, front of wing has Venetian window with stone pilasters, cornice and raised voussoirs to round-arched head, casements. Rear has gatehouse with similar Gibbs surround to archway. Hipped roof has brick parapet with stone coping. Interior not accessible at time of survey (March 1985), but was converted to a studio in 1930s by Cecil Beaton. The full extent of this range is illustrated in early C18 painting, in Salisbury Museum, partly demolished mid C18. (C. Beaton, Ashcombe - The Story of a Fifteen Year Lease, 1949; NMR.)

Listing NGR: ST9336020155

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320268
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beaton, C , Ashcombe the Story of a Fifteen Year Lease, (1949)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].