CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1184978
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184978.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:12:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Ashford (District Authority)
Parish:
Orlestone
National Grid Reference:
TR 00010 34696

Details

TR 03 SW ORLESTONE CHURCH LANE (east side) 6/87 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 2.11.57 GV II* Parish church. Late C12/early C13 origin, altered C14, and heavily restored 1883-4 by T. Blashill. Ragstone, part rendered with plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave with shingled bell turret, western porch and vestry to south. C19 western porch with timber upper walls on flint and stone base, made up in part of window tracery removed here after restoration. Trecusped bargeboard. C19 west window, a rounded triangular oculus. Shingled turret with small lucarnes and weather vane. Timber framed C19 south vestry. Nave and chancel with cusped lancets to west, and 2 and 3 light windows with cusped sexfoil over, with offset buttresses, incorporating chimney and stoke hole at southern re-entrant to chancel. East end all of 1883-4. Interior: double framed gallery/belfry support, possibly C17in origin, but now largely C19. Roof of 2 tall crown posts on moulded tie-beams, all much restored 1883. Chancel arch set within stepped-in chancel, with heavy chamfered arch on octagonal responds with deeply undercut capitals. Crown post roof, late Cl9. Copy of nave roof. Fittings: simple chamfered piscina in chancel, roll moulded piscina in nave and small ogee headed niche or stoup by south door. Good quality C19 fittings: colonette-rail to altar, choir stalls, reading desk/half- screen to chancel wooden pinnacled lectern. Alabaster font on Early English style column, with Evangelists' symbols on bowl sides. "Tudor" style Roll of Honour carved wooden tablet (for 1914-18, with 1939-45 additions). Glass of 1888; 1893 and 1898 by Holiday. The glass and monuments in the church are largely late C19/early C20 memorials to the Oliver family. Fragments of masonry on the west wall include late C12 (Canterbury style Early English) capitals (one dated 1884) and 2 coffin lids with calvary crosses bottonée. Royal Arms of 1828 over west door, and painted C19 texts over chancel arch and west doorway: In Obitu Pax : Post Tenebrus Lux. (See B.O.E. Kent I, 442).

Listing NGR: TR0002134223

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
181672
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980), 442

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08999/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Malcolm Gilbert. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].