CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1185953
Date first listed:
17-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, FRONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185953.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:14:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Esh
National Grid Reference:
NZ 19683 44028

Details

ESH FRONT STREET NZ 14 SE (South side) Esh

10/6 Church of St. Michael 17.1.67 GV II

Parish church. 1770 rebuilding, dated on interior, on medieval site; extensive alterations in 1850; south porch added 1884. Coursed squared sandstone rubble, thinly rendered in places, with ashlar plinth and dressings; roof of graduated Lakeland slates, and porch roof stone-flagged,with stone gable copings. Nave with south porch and transept; chancel with north porch. Gabled porch has chamfered, cusped 2-centred-arched surround to boarded door with ornamental hinges, in shafted, roll-moulded arch with leaf-stopped dripmould; side buttresses, stone cross finial. Nave has Perpendicular style 3-light north window, 2 cusped south windows; 2-light west window with bar tracery, and blocked spherical-triangular window above, under gabled bellcote with fleur- de-lys finial. Transept has 2-light Decorated-style window under gable with side buttresses, and paired lancets in east wall; external chimney-stack at south-east. Chancel has 4-light Perpendicular-style south window, 3-light Decorated-style east window. Paired cusped ogee lights in north porch and shouldered arch and lights on north front; external chimney stack. Stone cross finials; medieval-style chimneys.

Interior: inner porch has trailing iron foliage decoration. Painted plaster with ashlar dressings; boarded dado beside pews; boarded, panelled roof on cornice, with Tudor-flower bosses on chancel panels. Chamfered transept arch with similar inner arch on corbelled round shafts. Low square-headed piscina, slightly-chamfered, in south chancel wall. Hollow-chamfered rerearches and 2-centred-arched vestry door. Organ in transept. Glass includes south nave window by G.J. Baguley, north nave war memorial by Atkinson Bros., both of Newcastle upon Tyne. Lee memorial in transept by H.M. Barnet of the same town. Plaque in nave signed Walker and Emley, and dated 1884 for gift of porch and transept window in memory of former vicar. Early C14 effigy,against south wall of transept,has slightly-eroded costume detail; headless effigy of child wrapped in christening cloth on south window-sill of transept.

Sources: W. Stuart White, Registers of the Ancient Chapel of Esh, Newcastle 1896, III; C. Hunter Blair, 'Medieval Effigies in the County of Durham' in Archaeologia Aeliana, 4 VI Nos. XXXII and LXI.

Listing NGR: NZ1968344028

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
350512
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Archaeologia Aeliana, ()
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 17 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/19036
Other
White, W Stuart, Registers of the Ancient Chapel of Esh, 1896,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12460/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].