This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1185989



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: County Durham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Burnhope

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 350596

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/89 Little Holmside 17/1/67 (formerly listed as Little Holmside Farm) Holmside New Hall on map)


House. Dated 1668 for Timothy Whittingham in inscription over door; mid-C18 alterations and addition of right wing. Coursed squared sandstone rubble with quoins and ashlar dressings; right return coursed squared sandstone; stone- flagged roof. L-plan, 3 storeys, 4 bays, the fourth wider; symmetrical before alterations to right bay. Tudor-arched door, between second and third bays, has hollow-chamfered surround in ogee-moulded square-headed panel, with label mould over low-relief inscription: TIMY WHITTINGHAM HANC/ DOMUM EDIFICABAT ANNO 1668/ ET ILLAM NON INDIGNE VO/ CABAT LITTLE HOLMSIDE. 4-light windows in first bay on ground and first floors, with 3 mullions missing; other windows have 2 lights, all stone-mullioned with recessed single chamfers; evidence of vertical iron bars in some lights. Vertical-elliptical moulded decoration at left of first floor.

Right bay altered to 2 storeys, of same height as previous 3, with sash-window architraves; only fragments of sashes, and of glazing bars in other lights, survive.

Roof has left gable coping on moulded kneelers; right end hipped. Left end, and right wing ridge and rear gable, corniced ashlar chimneys.

C18 right return: symmetrical; 2 storeys, 5 bays; steps up to central door with lugged architrave, pulvinated frieze and swan-neck pediment containing blank panel. Architraves to all windows.

Rear 2-storey, 2-bay outshut under catslide roof has stone-mullioned windows, one inserted; similar windows on rear of main building.

Empty and derelict at time of survey.

Source: J.W. Fawcett, The Parish Registers of All Saints' Church, Lanchester. Satley 1909, p.x.

Listing NGR: NZ1997549276

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Fawcett, J W , The Parish Registers of All Saints Church Lanchester, (1909)

National Grid Reference: NZ 19975 49276


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185989 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 12:32:38.

End of official listing