This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST CHARLES BORROMEO WITH ATTACHED PRESBYTERIES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CHARLES BORROMEO WITH ATTACHED PRESBYTERIES

List entry Number: 1189164

Location

CHURCH OF ST CHARLES BORROMEO WITH ATTACHED PRESBYTERIES, HEATH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Elmbridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jul-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 286746

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/09/2012

4/167 10.2.77

WEYBRIDGE HEATH ROAD (east side) Church of St Charles Borromeo with attached presbyteries

(Part formerly listed as Mausoleum of Louis Phillippe attached to the Church of St Charles Borromeo)

GV II*

Roman Catholic chapel, now sacristy, with church extension and two attached presbyteries. Original chapel and presbytery c1834 by and for James Taylor; church addition and the later presbytery 1880-81 by A E Purdie for James Molineux Taylor and Marianne Taylor, altered and added to. Original chapel of brick, stuccoed and incised and painted to imitate Bathstone; mastic roof. Original presbytery of gault brick with slate roof. Later church addition and presbytery of rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings, brick to rear of presby- tery; plain tile roofs. Liturgical east used in description: ORIGINAL CHAPEL of Greek cross plan with central dome having towers to west (stair) and east (over chancel), shallow transepts to north and south, lower lean-to in north-west angle, and tower porch (with access to crypt) in north-east angle. In Gothic style, having: 4 centred-arched windows, with sashes with glazing bars or diamond-paned metal casements; off-set angle buttresses with gabled finials, those on inner sides of towers on head corbels; embattled towers; gabled transepts, the flanking buttresses rising into crocketed finials on south side; cornice below dome which is surmounted by glazed ogee light. Formerly entered from doorway on west side, entrance now with 2-light window and access from 1880s Church. ORIGINAL PRESBYTERY attached to chapel on north-east: 2 storeys with basement, square on plan. Offset angle buttresses; central gable with oculus in tympanum to each side. Segmental-arched doorway with 4-panel door to east side which is otherwise blind, as is west side; on north side, similar basement doorway with formerly-shuttered 4-centred-arched window to right, two similar windows above and two segmental-arched windows to 1st floor, all with projecting stone sills and broken diamond-paned windows. Derelict at time of inspection. 1880 CHURCH: 4-bay nave with north-west porch, west stair tower (added), south chapel and north transept having added organ left with gabled staircase and bellcotei 2-bay chancel with Lady Chapel. In Decorated style with offset buttresses; traceried rose window to west end; windows of 3 cusped lights with quatrefoils over to nave, similar but of 2 lights to chancel, otherwise simpler lancets and cusped lights; gableted coping on kneelers to gables and between nave and chancel; cross finials; ridge tiles to chancel. 1880s PRESBYTERY to north-east not of special interest. INTERIOR: original chapel: plan and fittings survive virtually intact, including gallery with wrought-iron balustrade having grapevine design; glazed tympana above gallery and position of former altar (removed to Lady Chapel); inset mahogany pulpit with stairs from former presbytery; stained glass by Hailer. 1880s church: original plan and fittings survive, including west gallery with openwork balustrade on arch-braced posts; sanctuary arch on marble columns with Angel brackets; corbelled, arch-braced, collared roof trusses to nave with Y-shaped upper trusses, collar purlin and wind braces; panelled timber chancel roof. Tessellated floors to chancel and Lady Chapel; polished stone pulpit; cusped, arcaded altar rail; richly-carved ciborium, tabernacle, Mandola-backed exposition throne and Baldachino with finials and statues; niched plaster statues between windows; painted stencil decoration to walls and roof of sanctuary. Nave pews. Good collection of stained glass, possibly by Cox. Tomb of Duchess of Nemours with recumbent effigy by L Chapu;memorial tablet to James Taylor and members of his family. HISTORY: the original chapel and presbytery were built shortly after the 1834 Catholic Emancipation Act by James Taylor (1795/6-1846) who was an important figure involved in many pioneering early C19 Catholic building projects. The chapel was used as a place of worship and burial by the Orleans family, exiled from France (who stayed at Claremont) although their bodies have since been removed. The chapel is important as a good early example of such a building. The later church is important in being an unusually unaltered example of late C19 Catholic High Victorin church decoration. REFERENCES: K Hotine, THE TAYLORS OF WEYBRIDGE (Guildford, 1982); K Hotine and T Wingate, THE CHAPEL ON THE HEATH, THE ORIGINAL CHAPEL OF ST CHARLES BORROMEO, WEYBRIDGE (1985)1 T E B Howarth, CITIZEN KING, LOUIS-PHILLIPPE KING OF THE FRENCH (1961); BUILDING NEWS 9 September 1881, p 343.



Listing NGR: TQ0731064167

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hotine, K, The Taylors of Weybridge, (1982)
Hotine, K, Wingate, T , The Chapel on the Heath, The original Chapel of St Charles Borromeo, Weybridge, (1985)
Howarth, T E B , Citizen King: Louis Phillippe King of the French, (1961)
'Building News' in 9 September, , Vol. 9, (1881), 343

National Grid Reference: TQ 07310 64167

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1189164 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Apr-2017 at 04:21:22.

End of official listing