CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1189528
Date first listed:
23-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1189528.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:23:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Clopton
National Grid Reference:
TL 06609 80006

Details

CLOPTON MAIN ROAD TL08SE (South side) 8/87 Church of St. Peter 23/05/67 - II

Church. c.1863 by Richard Armstrong. Squared coursed limestone with plain-tile roof. Nave, chancel, north aisle, vestry, south porch and west tower; in late C13 style. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2-light windows with 2-stage buttresses between. Steeply gabled roof with ashlar cornice, gable parapets and finial. 4-light east window with shafts, cusped circles and carved label stops. North elevation of chancel of one blank bay. Lean-to vestry is attached to right, having a 2-light square-head east window and a single lancet north window. South elevation of nave of 3 bays; 2-window range of 2- and 3-light windows with 2-stage buttresses between. Steeply gabled roof with ashlar cornice, gable parapets and finials. Gabled porch to left hand bay has roll moulded outer arch, with one order of shafts and chamfered and moulded inner doorway. North aisle of 3-window range of 2-light windows with 2-stage, buttresses between. Steeply gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets and octagonal flue at apex of east gable. 3-light west window. All windows have cusping or quatrefoil circles. 3-stage west tower with 3-stage clasping buttresses to western corners of lower 2 stages. Polygonal stair turret to south face of lower 2 stages. Lancet window in west face of lower stage. Slit windows in north and south face of second stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage have Y-tracery and lattice stone infill panels. Saddle back roof with lancets in gables. Ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finials. Interior: 3-bay north arcade, to nave, of double-chamfered arches with octagonal and cluster shafts and polygonal responds. The capitals may incorporate medieval masonry. Double-chamfered chancel arch with short corbelled colonnettes. Double-chamfered tower arch with plain responds. Rib vaulted tower ceiling. C19 trussed rafter and arched-brace truss roofs to nave and chancel. Octagonal font on columns, the bowl is probably medieval. C19 furnishings. C19 stained glass to east, south and tower windows. Large painting, depicting Christ on Easter Morning, fixed to the east wall of north aisle. Monuments: stone coffin, probably c.1300, in north aisle has fine decorated lid depicting a lion unicorn, vine leaves and birds. Pair of C16 recumbent effigies alongside, all reset. William Bretor, died 1658, inscribed tablet to left of altar flanked by ribbons with hour glass and skull and cross bones. Armorial device above. Dame Judith Williams, died 1754 and daughter Mary, died 1756, marble tablet in north aisle with 2 medallions and urn above. Lady Ann Williams, died 1799, oval tablet to left of south door. Various C19 and C20 tablets. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.151).

Listing NGR: TL0660980006

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
232810
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 151

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/11981/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].