Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1189807.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:37:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 64012 46885


SLAPTON CHAPEL LANE SP6446 (East side) 14/100 Church of St. Botolph 17/05/60


Church. C13 and C14, restored, new tracery added to some windows and tower rebuilt by William White 1878-9. Coursed squared limestone and ironstone, plain-tile roofs except for lead roof to south aisle. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window with curvilinear tracery and hood mould. Small trefoil window in gable above with carving of man below playing an instrument. 2-light window to north with straight head, ogee-headed lights and hood mould with label stops. Lower one-light window to north-west with cusped head. Two-light straight- headed window to south with renewed ogee-headed lights and hood mould. Priest's door to south with chamfered jambs, ogee-moulded head and hood mould. Narrow rectangular window to left with chamfered stone surround. Offset angle buttresses and one offset buttress between bays to north. Nave has 2-light windows to north, that to north-east with Y-tracery, that to north-west with ogee-headed lights and quatrefoil to head, both with hood moulds. Blocked north door with shouldered head and stone lintel. South aisle has 2-light renewed east window with straight head and hood mould. 2-light windows to south and west with Decorated tracery and hood moulds. Double ogee-moulded south door with hood mould in porch with chamfered doorway and hood mould and small carved head in gable above. 3-stage west tower has lancet window to west, a 2-light straight-headed window to south of middle stage with ogee-headed lights. 2-light bell-openings to north and south, 1-light bell-openings to east and west; south bell-openings flanked by blank arcades with roll-moulded arches on shafts with moulded capitals. Corbel table, plain stone-coped parapet and pyramidal recessed shingled roof. Diagonal buttresses to tower and south aisle. Interior: chancel has two tomb recesses to north, that by altar with many-moulded arch and hood mould, the other with moulded ogee arch and hood mould with foliage finial and label stops. Image bracket to left of east window. Division between chancel and nave has central arch with chamfered jambs flanked by 2-light straight-headed windows with ogee-headed light, window to right recessed in arch. Nave has 3-bay arcade. Early C13 middle and west arch with circular pier, square abacus and plain arches. Later east bay has double-chamfered arch, the inner arch on moulded corbels. South chapel has C17 screen and piscina. Important series of late C14 and C15 wall-paintings: large St. Christopher on north wall of nave facing south door with mermaid and fishes; south side of nave, St. Francis receiving the stigmata, St. Michael weighing souls, partly on top of this St. George; 2 figures in west arch of arcade and Mass of St. Gregory middle arch; in south aisle, the Annunciation, a martydom and St. Anne teaching the Virgin; on south wall of south aisle - St. Eloi and traces of Three Living and Three Dead. Early C14 stained glass: Lucy arms and grisaille in east window and late medieval canopies to heads of north chancel window. Wall monuments in chancel to Thomas Knight d.1723 with arms in cartouche above inscription. Marble wall monument to Simon and Rachel Knight who died 1776 and 1794 respectively, with urn finial. (Buildings of England: Northanptonshire, 1973, p.404).

Listing NGR: SP6401246885


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 404


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11148/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Jim Adams. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].