CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1190715
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, BLITHBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190715.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:58:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, BLITHBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Lichfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Hamstall Ridware
National Grid Reference:
SK 10565 19346

Details

SK 1019-1119; 12/36

HAMSTALL RIDWARE C.P., BLITHBURY ROAD (north-east side)

Church of St Michael and All Angels

27.02.64

GV

I

Parish church. Mainly C14 and C15 incorporating some C12 fragments. Sandstone ashlar; low pitch, leaded covered roofs. West Tower, 3-bay nave with side aisles, 2-bay chancel with north chapel; and a south chapel and vestry.

West tower: Early C14. Three stages with diagonal buttresses, plain parapet and recessed spire with three tiers of lucarnes. Pointed west door with ogee-moulded surround and hood mould. Belfry openings of two trefoil-headed lights with sunken spandrels, beneath a flat arch. Nave. C12 west wall. Late C15 clerestorey: 4-centred arch windows with Y-tracery and concave quarter round-moulded jambs and mullions; continuous hood mould. C15 north aisle: square-headed windows of three trefoil-headed lights with ogee and concave quarter round-moulded surrounds, and sunken spandrels. Continued to the east as the north chapel: C18 windows to north and east with semi-circular arches, raised keystones, moulded architraves and leaded glass. North doorway with similar details. On the east wall is an aedicule with bracketed open pediment, commemorating Joseph Riley, died 1759. C14 south aisle: square headed windows of three trefoil-headed lights with sunken spandrels. Similar window of two lights in the south wall of the south chapel, and plain rectangular loops in the south and east walls. Mid-C19 gabled south porch of rock-faced ashlar with yellow dressings and plain tile roof with fishscale tile bend. Early C14 chancel with pointed east window of four trefoil-headed lights and cusped intersecting tracery.

INTERIOR. Nave arcade has pointed arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal columns with moulded capitals. At the west end of the north aisle are the remains of an earlier, blocked arch, probably a window. Tall pointed and chamfered tower arch, and above it a C12 window, blocked by the west tower. There is no chancel arch. C15 roof over the nave with moulded ridge piece, purlins and tie beams; the latter are cambered and supported on brackets. Aisle roofs with moulded ridge pieces and tie beams. The north aisle roof is inscribed 16 RO: IR 69. 2-bay chancel arcade of pointed arches on octagonal columns with moulded capitals. On the south side a C16 tomb recess has been inserted. C14 piscina with trefoiled head and sunken spandrels in the south wall, partly destroyed by the tomb recess. In the south wall of the south chapel are the remains of a staircase which led to a former rood loft. At loft level is a doorway between south chapel and chancel. Fittings. C19 stone font; octagonal with concave diagonals. C19 wooden pulpit; panels carved with grapes and vine leaves. early to mid-C16 north chapel screen; Perpendicular, incorporating two medallions containing putti. Late C15 south chapel screen with central Tudor arch and open traceried panels. At the east end of the south chapel is a plank and muntin partition separating it from the vestry. The muntins have roll-moulded edges. C15/C16. Monument. Richard and John Cotton, 1502. Chest tomb with cusped panels containing heraldic shields. The tomb is beneath a four-centred arch recess between chancel and south chapel. Stained Glass. C14 fragments incorporated in one of the south chapel windows. Three early C16 north aisle windows. Several windows of the late C19/C20. At the time of the resurvey (September 1986) two late C15 painted panels which had been incorporated into the reredos, had been removed for restoration work. B.o.E. pp. 139-40.

Listing NGR: SK1057019357

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
272882
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 139-40

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02940/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Kaz Diller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].