Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1191528.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 04:28:55.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 01122 81522


TL08SW 4/26 25/05/67

ALDWINCLE THORPE ROAD (West side) Church of All Saints


Church, now redundant. C13 and C15 restored C19. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar tower and lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, north vestry, south chantry chapel and west tower. South elevation of chancel is of one-window range with a tall 2-light Perpendicular window. Gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets. 2-bay chantry chapel is attached to left of chancel. 2-window range of 3-light windows with 2-centred arch heads and hollow reveals. Window to left has a high cill with a priest door below with 4-centre arch head and rosette label stops. Rosettes also in the spandrels. 2-stage buttresses between windows, terminating as pinnacles; only south-east corner pinnacle remains. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapet. 4-light east window has hollow reveals and rosette label stops. The walls of the chantry chapel are rendered with pink coloured, scored, render. C19 four-light east window to chancel has plate tracery with cusped roundel. North elevation of chancel of 3 bays, 2-window range. Tall 2-light Perpendicular window to right and C19 two-light window, with plate tracery, to centre. Bay to left has lean-to vestry with 2-light windows in north and east elevations. South aisle of 3-bays, 2-window range, of 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parpet. 2-light west window has reticulated tracery. Shallow gabled porch to left, has double-chamfered arch with 2-centred head and corbelled responds. North aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range, to left, of tall 3-light Perpendicular windows, with 4-centred arch head. North door to right has 2-centred arch head and roll moulded surround. All openings have carved label stops. Buttresses at corners. Lean-to roof has castellated ashlar parapet. 2-light east and west windows have reticulated tracery. Nave clerestory of 3-bay, 2-window range of 2-light, square-head, windows, in outer bays. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapets. Fine Perpendicular west tower of 4 stages with moulded plinth. Shallow pilasters at corners terminate as crocketed, octagonal, pinnacles. West doorway has 2-centred arch head set in square surround. Moulded reveals with crocketed hood mould supported by single order of shafts. Quatrefoils and cusping in spandrels. 3-light west window to second stage has 2-centre arch head rising into third stage, with crocketed hood mould. The lower part of the window is blank. Ogee-head niche above window in third stage. Pairs of tall 2-light square-head bell-chamber openings, with transoms and cuspings, to each face of upper stage. Double-hollow reveals and lattice brickwork panels to lights. String course forms hood mould to window. String course between stages are decorated at corners with human heads and animals. Quatrefoil frieze above bell-chamber openings. Central gargoyles to each face are flanked by smaller carved heads. Gargoyles at corners and castellated ashlar parapet. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of C13 double-chamfered arches with circular piers and corbelled responds. Circular abaci, some with nailhead decoration. Double-chamfered chancel arch on cone corbels with nailhead decoration. Triple-chamfered tower arch. Moulded arches from south aisle and chancel to south chapel. Arch from chancel has cluster shaft responds with carved shields attached to capitals. Original roof structure to nave and north aisle, others are C19. Piscina in south wall of chantry chapel has ogee head with 2 quatrefoils in spandrels. Remains of piscina in north aisle. Octagonal font supported on cluster shaft. Jacobean communion rail. Fragments of wall painting depicting St. Christopher in nave. Royal hatchment flanked by Ten Commandments, above chancel arch. Spinacre family hatchment in chancel. Monument: William Aldwyncle died 1463, brass figure in chancel floor. Inscribed tablet 1655 in chancel floor probably to Culpin family. John Pykering died 1637, remains of chest tomb relocated from churchyard to north aisle. John Pykering, C17 tablet, surround only remains. Daniel Walsh, died 1707, inscribed tablet in chancel floor. Various C18 tablets to Spinacre family in first floor of chantry chapel. Stained glass: fragments of medieval glass in aisle and chantry chapel windows. Late C19 east window. Chantry chapel founded by Elizabeth Chambre 1489. Pykering family were ancestors of John Dryden, poet, who was born at Aldwincle in 1631. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.77; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3, p.164).

Listing NGR: TL0112281522


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 77
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1930), 164


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/05856/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Kirkpatrick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].