Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1191603.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2021 at 08:53:32.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33185 81361


BISHOPSGATE, EC2 TQ 3381 SW East Side) 11/350 Church of St Ethelburga 4.1.50 I

Guild church. Late C14/early C15 with later alterations including work between 1912 and 1914 by Sir Ninian Comper; built on the site of an older church and incorporating some of the materials. Rag stone and brick with stone dressings and quoins to tower; returns rendered. 4 bays with southern aisle plus western tower and having a rear vestry hall and 5-bay _loggia (c1902-04) forming 2 sides of a small courtyard; a small church being approximately 56 1/2 feet long and 30 feet high, surrounded on 3 sides by tall C20 buildings. Western tower with central pointed arch, moulded doorway having C20 part-glazed doors; above, a segmental headed 3-light traceried window. Coped parapet beneath which a clock face. Late C18 2-stage rectangular bell-turret, each stage with projecting dentil cornice, surmounted by an ogee roof with weathervane dated 1671. Interior has a tower separated from the nave by an arch. Aisle piers with 4 shafts and 4 hollows, 2-centred double-hollowed-chamfered arches. Roof, with gilded cherubim corbels, renewed 1830s. Two cinquefoil headed piscinas, c1400, on south wall a chancel (traces of paint) and south aisle wall. Fragments of incorporated earlier building exposed in north nave wall. Segmental headed clerestory lights with C20 plain glass glazing. 4 stained glass windows by Leonard Walker, dedicated between 1928 and 1947, to north and south aisles, 3 dedicated to Henry Hudson (he and his crew took communion here in 1607 before they set out on their quest for the North-West Passage) and a fourth to the Revd. W.F. Geikie-Cobb (rector 1900-41). Unusual eastern aisle window 1936 by Hugh Easton, dedicated to Harriette Geikie-Cobb (the rector's wife); 3 figures of love, joy and peace in an idealised landscape.5-light eastern window under moulded 4-centred arch by Kempe, 1878, replacing an earlier one in a classical setting. Three pieces of C15 glass in a western window and 4 pieces of C17 heraldic glass in sanctuary and chapel. Reredos in the form of a painted mural, depicting the crucified and risen Christ, St Luke with a patient and St Ethelburga with children, by Hans Feibusch, 1962. 5-arch wooden screen by comper, c1912, with fan-vaulted spandrels supporting a rood loft with openwork balustrade. Also by Comper, the plain western gallery with spiral stair and other woodwork including the alter candlesticks and standards. Hexagonal C18 font with C17 Carved wooden cover from destroyed St Swithen, London stone. Wall monuments mostly early C19 but one to John Cornelius Linkbeck, dated 1655; a plain marble architraved tablet with pilaster and coat of arms. Rear courtyard, on the site of former graveyard; with octagonal pond, 1923, having central terracotta fountain possibly by the Potters Arts Guild, Compton. St Ethelburga's is one of eight pre- 1666 churches left in the City. Until 1932 the western tower was partly obscured by 2 shops of c1570 and c1613 with a tunnel-like porch giving access to the church doorway and later upper storey accommodation extending across the facade masking the west window. The C18 bell turret replaced a steeple from which came the present C17 weathervane. In the latter part of the C19 the church was in the Van of the Catholic revival; it became a guild church in 1954.

Listing NGR: TQ3318581361


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].