CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1192208
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192208.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:37:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
High Melton
National Grid Reference:
SE 50917 01811

Details

SE50SW HIGH MELTON

7/85 Church of St. James 5.6.68

GV II*

Church. C12, C14 and C15, C19 restoration. Ashlar and rubble limestone, stone slate roofs. West tower, 2-bay nave and 2-bay chancel with continuous south aisle overlapping tower, south porch. Tower: Perpendicular. Offset diagonal buttresses flank 2-light west window with ogee-headed lights and hoodmould; slit windows to stair turret in north-west buttress. Small ogee-headed lights and string course beneath 2nd-stage clock. String course beneath later upper stage with transomed, 2-light belfry openings. String course with corner gargoyles beneath embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Nave: chamfered plinth, quoins; all embattled. South porch has broach stops to chamfered arch; moulded, ogee arch to south door within. Square-headed aisle windows of 2 ogee-headed lights, massive buttress to east. Two 2-light clerestorey windows have ashlar surrounds and ogee heads cut in single slabs. Blocked C14 north door with ogee head; 3-light mullioned window on left has C12 scalloped stone in its jamb. C19 east buttress with octagonal flue above. Chancel: lower. Chapel in aisle has square-headed, 2-light window to left of round-headed light. C19, 4-light east window in Perpendicular style has cusped apron panels, 3-light, pointed window to chapel. 3-light windows to north. Gable copings with crosses to nave and chancel.

Interior: double-chamfered tower arch with ½-octagonal responds. C12 south arcade with cylindrical pier and scalloped capital with nailhead ornament, matching responds, plain round arches. C12 chancel arch-with chamfered impost and plain voussoirs, restored. Single-chamfered, pointed arch into south chapel. C19 roofs. Font: tapered cylinder with probably C18 oak cover. Rood screen with gallery and crucifixion, also the gilded, canopied reredos by Sir Ninian Comper (1905-1907). Excellent cl5 parclose screen to south chapel with Decorated tracery of mouchettes, carved cresting. Monuments: numerous wall monuments to the"Fountayne family; beneath tower to Thomas (d.1709) - aedicule on consoles which flank arms, urn finial flanked by lamps; on north wall of chancel to Thomas (d,1780), another to Anne (d.1746) wife of Revd John Fountayne; in north chapel to John (erected 1747) - half sarcophagus beneath open pediment with arms and elephant. Glass: C14 and C15 figures to north of chancel, C14 fragments and cl5 figures in south aisle. C18 heraldic glass in south aisle, associated with Peckitt. South aisle window of c1885 and east window by Kempe (Pevsner, p265).

N. Pevsner, B.O.E., 1967 ed.

York Glaziers Trust Report, 9 March, 1982.

Listing NGR: SE5091701811

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
334506
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 265
'York Glaziers Trust Report' in York Glaziers Trust Report - 9 March, (1982)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06485/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Clayton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].