CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192336.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:37:31.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 55104 11172
OWSTON OWSTON VILLAGE
SE 51 SE
10/117 Church of All Saints
Church. C11 origin, C13, C14 and C15; chancel restored 1872/73 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Rubble and ashlar magnesian limestone, lead and C20 cement- tile roofs. West tower, 5-bay aisled nave with south porch and north chapel, narrower 3-bay chancel. Tower: early C13, 3 stages. Chamfered plinth, offsets between stages. Round-headed loops to lower stage on west and south sides and to 2nd stage on west; louvred belfry openings each of 2 pointed lights divided by shaft with carved capital set in a pointed-arched recess; string course with corner gargoyles beneath C15 embattled parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave: quoined rubble heightened in ashlar, some late C11 herringbone walling flanking the tower. C14 south aisle has chamfered plinth, offset band and buttresses to angles and between restored windows of 2, 3 and 4 lights having reticulated tracery in chamfered, square-headed recesses. C15 south porch has chamfered, pointed arch and hoodmould with one renewed head-carved stop; gable copings and apex cross to ribbed ashlar roof; within, the south door is double-quadrant moulded, the roof incorporates 2 cross slabs. Easternmost bay of nave, beyond the aisle, has chamfered plinth and moulded band beneath a restored 3-light window with cusped tracery, pointed arch and hoodmould. Clerestorey: C14, Y-tracery 2-light windows to bay 1 otherwise Perpendicular windows of 2 ogee lights in deeply- chamfered, square-headed recesses; string course beneath embattled parapet. North of nave: rubble heightened in ashlar and with moulded band to later buttresses; chamfered, quoined, north door with segmental-arched head; buttress on left with plain 3-light window beyond having intersecting tracery. C15 north chapel on left: chamfered plinth, moulded band, buttresses; two 3-light north windows with ogee lights in square-headed quadrant-moulded surrounds (undergoing restoration at time of resurvey). Plain ashlar parapets to chapel and aisles. Chancel: lower; early C14, heavily-restored 1872/3; chamfered plinth, pointed south priests' door with hoodmould flanked by windows of 3, 2 and 3 lights with intersecting tracery and hoodmould. Cusped 5-light east window with a wavy quinquefoil at the apex beneath a keel-moulded hood with head-carved stops. North side (former chapel removed) has a 3-light window on right of a C20 brick projection (enclosing arch of Easter sepulchre); trefoil-headed piscina to left with moulded buttress and door beyond. Interior: segmental-arched doorway into tower (originally the west doorway) twin, round-headed windows over with deep embrasures. North arcade: cylindrical piers and moulded capitals to double-chamfered arches, keeled responds. South arcade has octagonal piers, moulded capitals and matching responds to double-chamfered arches. Extra bay to east of each arcade detailed as south arcade. In south aisle a trefoil-headed piscina. C20 roofs. Chancel: tall double-chamfered chancel arch; Easter sepulchre in north wail with cusped and moulded arch beneath crocketed hood with pinnacles, sane details to outside wall (originally facing into chapel). On south wall a 2-seat sedilia with shaped arms and double piscina with trefoil-headed openings. Of 1873-4, the marble and tiled flour and ornate arch-braced roof with longitudinal rails carved with motto and vine trail. Fittings; rood screen the gift of William Adam (d.1542), of 2 : 2 : 2 divisions with initials on the central doors: panelled dado with quatrefoils, carved mid-rail and ogee lights with cusped panel tracery, later cornice, Monuments: to north of chancel a freestanding monument to Frances ld.1818), wife of Bryan Cooke of Owston Hall: figure kneeling on tassel led cushion with crossed hands to her breast, it is signed 'CHANTREY / SCULPTOR / 1820'. Opposite within an arched recess, that to Bryan Cooke (d.1821) depicts seated pensive figure facing east against a panel crested with anthemion motifs, signed 'CHANTREY : SC / 1830'. To its east a fine cartouche to Henry Cooke has drapes and cherubs. Two other Cooke family wall monuments by Fisher of York. In south aisle some parts of a tomb chest set in the floor; to George Byard (d.1660), it has panels carved with arcading, grenades and a horse. Brass adjacent to western pier of south aisle depicts robed figures of Robert of Hatfield and wife Ada (d.1409) with a French inscription. Another brass to William Adam (d.1667) on slab with arms and inscription (situated near northern choir stalls); to its right a grave slab to Phillip Adam.
Robert de Hatfield (d.1421) wished, in his will, to be buried in the Chapel of the Virgin (north chapel) 'de novo constructa' (Pevsner, p388).
N. Pevsner, B.0.E., 1967 ed.
Listing NGR: SE5510411172
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing