CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1192617
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, TOWNGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192617.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:41:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, TOWNGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Bradfield
National Park:
PEAK DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SK 26718 92542

Details

SK29SE BRADFIELD TOWNGATE (west end), High Bradfield

9/114 Church of St. Nicholas 25/4/69 GV I

Church. Reused arcade piers of c1200. C14 tower, rest largely Perpendicular. Ashlar gritstone, lead roofs. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and 3-bay chancel with 2-bay chapels. Wave- moulded plinth,offset buttresses between bays, embattled parapets with crocketed pinnacles throughout. West tower: 3 stages, plinth, tall diagonal buttresses. West door beneath 2-light cusped Y-tracery window. String course beneath similar 2-light bell openings. Another string course beneath parapet with corner pinnacles. Clock on south face dated 1867. Nave: South porch to bay 2 has diagonal buttresses. 3-light windows to other bays with panel tracery, depressed arches and hoodmoulds. Small flat-pointed window to bay 3, doorway to right of bay 4. Square-headed 2-light windows to clerestorey. Chapel and chancel windows similar to south aisle. East window: 5 lights with panel tracery and hoodmould beneath peaked stringcourse. Flanking gargoyles, one in the form of dragon, the other a dog. Apex cross. East window of north chapel has curvilinear tracery. North aisle has square-headed windows of 3 and 4 lights, some cusped, some plain. Tudor-arched 4-light window to north chapel. Interior: early work evidenced by octagonal and round nave piers with hacked-off capitals, keeled responds to chancel arch. All arches double-chamfered. Unusual sunken vestry in south chapel. On north wall a Saxon cross found in Low Bradfield and moved to church in 1886. Font: a plain Norman bowl with tall C19 cover. Reredos: incorporates medieval panels brought from Caen. Brass plaque fixed on south pier of chancel depicts John Morewood and his family, dated 1647. Glass mostly c19, early fragments in north aisle. Original nave roof with cambered tie beams and carved bosses. Chancel roof is of 1901.

Listing NGR: SK2671992541

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
335437
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00868/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].