Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192628.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 12:22:18.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 66301 09586


HATFIELD STATION ROAD SE 6609 (SE 60 NE) (east side) 16/54 Church of St. Lawrence 24.11.66 GV I

Church. C12 origin, C13 arcades otherwise mostly C15; 1872 alterations by Thomas Jackson, 1882 restoration by Edwin Dolby. Pebble, rubble and ashlar limestone, lead and slate roofs. Cruciform plan having 5-bay aisled nave, crossing tower and 3-bay chancel with chapels. Mostly Perpendicular, embattled with crocketed pinnacles except for nave aisles. Nave: south aisle: rebuilt gabled porch to bays 2 and 3 has shafted jambs to a 3-order pointed arch; C12 inner door with round arch and hood with ball and billet ornament and head-carved stops; old oak door with E-shaped hinges. Rubble- walled bay 1 has west buttress and slit window; bays 4 and 5 with Decorated 3-light windows, one with mouchettes the other with cusped intersecting tracery. Nest door, flanked by large buttresses, has C12 4-order round arch with shafts and carved capitals; transomed 5-light Perpendicular window above. North aisle: large C19 buttresses rise as gablets above eaves; bays 1, 3 and 4 have square-headed windows of 2 ogee lights, bay-2 window of 3 cusped lights; bay 5 with pointed 3-light window with Decorated tracery;small C12 west window. Clerestorey: purely C15 with panel-traceried heads to 3- light windows beneath 2-centred arches, hoodmould with weathered head-carved stops. Transepts: chamfered plinth and moulded band, angle buttresses; transomed 5-light windows with panel tracery. Tower; angle buttresses, hooded 4-light pointed-arch windows beneath shields with Savage arms; 2 string courses (with south clock between) below paired 2-light belfry openings with transoms. Chancel: chapels have buttresses between bays and cusped, square-headed 3-light windows with hoodmoulds; north chapel windows unrestored, the merlons above with carved motifs. Three differing Perpendicular windows to east, the chancel window uncusped and transomed, the south chapel window with cusped panelling. Interior: C13 aisle arcades with cylindrical piers and matching responds to double-chamfered arches; north aisle spanned by double-chamfered arches from semi-octagonal responds built against the aisle piers. C15 nave roof with moulded tie beams and carved bosses. Four richly-moulded arches to the crossing on semi-octagonal responds with crenellated capitals; C15 roof with boss. Chancel: south chapel arcade of 2 double-chamfered arches on slender octagonal piers; north chapel arcade similar. C15 roofs, eastern ends restored. Fittings: C15 rood screen with slender one-light divisions and coving with lierne ribs and pendants; restored north chapel screen in same style. Font has c1300 base with 4 shafts around a column to a C19 octagonal bowl. Pews to west have some re-used work and one traceried bench end. Benefactions tablet, dated 1695 and near south door, has broken segmental pediment. Glass: south aisle windows by Kenpe, and Tower and Kempe. C12 dug-out chest iron-bound and originally with 10 locks. Monuments: in south transept a restored wall monument to William 0ughtibridge (d1728) with concentric inscription in wreath with flowers and angels, signed 'T. Oughtibridge, engraver'. In north transept a plain table tomb with panelled sides; on piers nearby are several early C18 cartouches. South chapel: table tomb with shields in cusped lozenges, also C18 and C19 wall monuments including a broken-pedimented plaque to Mrs. Judith Jackson (d1728). North chapel: standing monument to John Hatfield (d1698) also wall monument to the Hatfield family, John (d1767), Susannah (d1765), et al, in the tori of an aedicule with broken pediment beneath flat obelisk with cartouche.

Listing NGR: SE6630109586


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/12200/37
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Janet Tierney. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].