CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1192792
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, SHEFFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192792.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:00:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, SHEFFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
North and South Anston
National Grid Reference:
SK 51964 83704

Details

NORTH AND SOUTH ANSTON SHEFFIELD ROAD SK58SW (south side), South Anston 5/70 Church of St. James 29.7.66 I

Church. C14 with C15 tower and clerestorey, restored 1886 and 1890. Ashlar and dressed limestone, lead and green slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with single-bay south vestry in overlap of aisle. Tower: Perpendicular style. Chamfered plinth and moulded band. Diagonal buttresses flank west door offset to the north and having moulded, hollow-chamfered surround and hoodmould; 3-light window over has cusped, pointed lights and hoodmould; slit windows to internal stair on right. Large iron clock faces to north and west. String course beneath pointed 2-light belfry openings with louvres; another beneath embattled octagonal parapet with buttresses rising as crocketed corner pinnacles. Recessed octagonal spire with weathervane. Nave: gabled porch to bay 1 has double-chamfered south door with hoodmould. Buttresses between other bays having square-headed 3-light windows with restored Decorated-style tracery and deep hoodmoulds; plainly-coped parapets. C15 clerestorey has 2-light windows with ogee lights beneath square heads, hoodmould with good head-and animal-carved stops; embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Chancel: narrower. Overlapping south vestry addition has snecked walling and window in style as nave as is south chancel window. C14 east window of 5 lights with flowing tracery and hoodmould. Pointed, 2-light north windows. East gable copings with cross. Interior: double-chamfered tower arch rises from chamfered, quoined jambs. 3-bay north and south arcades: octagonal north piers and imposts with simple capitals, south piers are quatrefoil and have moulded capitals; double-chamfered arches. Arched recesses in north and south aisle walls, that to north with C14 monument. Original C14 east window of south aisle preserved in-situ, also in south aisle an elaborate double piscina with ogee-headed openings. Chancel: double-chamfered arch on half-quatrefoil responds. C14 sedilia: 3 seats divided by slender, chamfered shafts, moulded arches beneath castellated cresting. Fittings:carved reredos depicting last supper, 1900. Monuments: in north aisle recess, an effigial slab of lady with small daughter by her side, her pillow held by angels whilst another reaches down to the child. Brass to east of vestry door to Mary Hutton (d 1662).

Listing NGR: SK5196483702

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
335820
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/07465/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Paul Eggleston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].