CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1193096
Date first listed:
25-May-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193096.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:16:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Harrow (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 16719 92164

Details

CHURCH ROAD 1. 5016 Stanmore Church of St John TQ 1692 SE 8/9

II* GV

2. Begun 1849 in Decorated Gothic style by Henry Clutton (the surveyor, b.1814). Graded for monuments transferred from Old Church, including those to John Burnell (d.1605), John Dalton (d.1785), Sir John Wolstenholme (d.1699) under canopied monument in tower, Sir John Wolstenholme (d.1634; effigy by Nicholas Stone), John Wolstenholme (d.1669), John Dalton (by Bacon 1791), Elizabeth Dalton (d.1812) and First Earl of Aberdeen (by Boehm, 1875). Font also transferred (by Nicholas Stone circa 1632). Numerous other C18 and early C19 wall monuments in tower. South aisle has 2-light stained glass windows by Edward Burne-Jones, 1885. Five-light East window, by Thomas Willement circa 1849 (artist in stained glass to Queen Victoria). North aisle: centre 2-lights circa 1896 in the style of C E Kempe, possibly by Burlison and Grylls.

Listing NGR: TQ1671992164

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
202012
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/14392/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Douglas Fairbank. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].