This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHANTRY HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHANTRY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1194515

Location

CHANTRY HOUSE, 34, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Horsham

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Steyning

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 298685

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 28/06/2017

TQ 1711, 24/80

STEYNING, CHURCH STREET (north-west side), No 34 (Chantry House)

15.03.55

II*

A C18 house of two storeys and an attic. The principal elevation has five windows, and two dormers. This elevation is faced with grey headers on a red brick base with brick dressings, quoins, panels between the ground and first floor windows, dentilled cornice, and parapet. The windows have cambered head linings and the glazing bars are intact. The principal doorway is up five steps and has pilasters, a pediment, rectangular fanlight and a door of six fielded panels.

The house has a tablet recording that: "William Butler Yeats, 1859-1939, wrote many of his later poems in this house". The artist Gluck (Hannah Gluckstein) (1895-1978) also lived here with her partner, the journalist Edith Shackleton Heald, from 1944 until her death in 1978. Gluckstein adopted the name ‘Gluck’ in 1918, and began to dress in traditionally masculine clothes. Gender subversion, non-conformity and queer sexualities played an important role in Gluck’s art. Edith Shackleton Heald was a successful journalist, and was the first female reporter in the House of Lords.

Listing NGR: TQ1771811314

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 17718 11314

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194515 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 05:02:02.

End of official listing