CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1194745
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194745.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 04:58:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
West Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Nowton
National Grid Reference:
TL 86330 60467

Details

TL 86 SE NOWTON

4/21 Church of St. peter - 14.7.55 II*

Parish church. C12, C13 and C14; much restored and enlarged in 1843. In random flint, extensively repointed, with freestone quoins and dressings. Old plain-tiled roofs: a small pitched dormer on each side of the nave roof, and Victorian ornamental ridge-tiles. Simple Norman south doorway, and a C12 north doorway, with keeled roll-moulding and one order of shafts with volute capitals, incorporated into a north aisle in Victorian Romanesque style. A small plain Norman window has also been reused at the east end of this aisle. Early C13 chancel. 2-light ogee-headed windows to north and south, and a 3- light east window with intersecting tracery and mouchettes. Angle buttresses at the east end. Unbuttressed C14 tower in 3 stages: plain base; freestone quoins, dressings and string-courses; stone facing to the crenellated parapet, which has damaged pinnacles at the corners. A 2-light window with flowing tracery to the lowest stage of the west face, a single cinquefoil-headed window in the second stage, and a 2-light cusped Y-tracery window to each face of the top stage. A canted stair-turret on the south side with a conical roof. Very little original work survives inside: most of the fittings, and the north arcade in Romanesque style, date from the 1843 restoration. Extensively restored screen. A simple trefoil-headed piscina, and a stone reredos with cinquefoil panels, in the chancel. A high canopied niche on each side of the east window. Steeply-pitched roofs to nave and chancel: arch- braced, with mouldings to purlins and braces; 4 bays to nave, 2 bays with lower collars to chancel; shields at the intersections, and curious lozenge- shaped carved bosses added later. A feature of the church are the numerous small roundels of engraved C16/C17 Flemish glass in the nave and chancel windows, about 75 in all, set into brightly-coloured surrounds of C19 stained glass. These were brought 'from monasteries in Brussels' in the early C19 by Orbell Ray Oakes, who lived at Nowton Court. Various memorial tablets on the walls, mainly to the Oakes family; the marble monument to Elizabeth Frances Oakes, d.1811, by John Bacon Jnr. shows a draped female figure kneeling beside a sarcophagus.

Listing NGR: TL8633060467

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284442
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16373/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].