CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1194836
Date first listed:
20-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN, HIGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194836 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:40:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN, HIGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Belton and Manthorpe
National Grid Reference:
SK 92025 37901

Details

BELTON & MANTHORPE SK9237 HIGH ROAD, Manthorpe 1315-0/11/123 (North West side) 20/09/66 Church of St John GV II

Parish church. 1847-1848, by G G Place of Nottingham. C20 additions. Ashlar with steep pitched slate roofs. Early Decorated style. Chancel and vestry, nave and south porch, with central tower and spire between them. Moulded plinth and sill band, coped gables with crosses. Windows mainly have pointed arches, tracery, and hood moulds with stops. 2 bay chancel has at the east end stepped diagonal buttresses topped with pinnacles, and a 3-light window. South side has two 2-light windows, and the north side, a single light window. Vestry has 2 segment arched windows to east and a similar door to west. 3 bay nave has two 2-light windows to south and a single lancet to north. West end has a larger 2-light window. North side has a single storey addition, mid C20. South porch has a chamfered doorway with hood mould. Square tower, 3 stages, has stepped angle buttresses to north and south, string courses, and corbel table. The lower stages have single lancets to north and south, and the bell stage has a 2-light pointed arched opening on each side. Octagonal broach spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes and 3 tiers of crockets. Interior, rendered, has scissor braced roofs to nave and chancel. Under the tower, double chamfered arches to east and west, on corbels, and cross beam ceiling. Chancel has a segmental pointed door to north, and a stained glass east window, 1848. Nave has a similar west window, 1848, by Willement, and on the south side, 2 stained glass windows, 1982. North side has a C20 double door. Fittings include Decorated style octagonal ashlar font and pulpit, and simple wooden benches, stalls and desks, all 1848. Wooden lectern mid C20. Royal arms in a quatrefoil, 1848. Memorials include marble and slate war memorial tablet, c1920. An estate church provided for workers on the Belton estate by the Brownlow family of Belton House. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 550).

Listing NGR: SK9202537901

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
382900
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 550
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/42960

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10357/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].