Royal Albert Hospital (original part only)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1194930
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1970
Statutory Address:
Royal Albert Hospital (original part only), Ashton Road

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194930.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:20:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
Royal Albert Hospital (original part only), Ashton Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 47660 60082

Details

SD46SE 1685-1/1/10

LANCASTER ASHTON ROAD Royal Albert Hospital (original part only)

30/11/70

GV II* Mental hospital. 1868-1873. Designed by Paley and Austin. Dressed sandstone with ashlar dressings and with red St Bees sandstone in bands at impost level on the ground and first floors and as eaves corbels. Hipped roofs of green Coniston slate. Gothic Revival style. Symmetrical plan with two storeys above a basement, and attics with gabled dormer windows. Six bay central block flanked by eleven bay wings which have, in their centre, a three bay canted projection and, at the end, a wider and taller three bay pavilion with a separate roof. Most ground-floor windows have paired lancets under a two-centred arched hoodmould, and most first-floor windows have paired lights under flat lintels. Those in the projections and pavilions are more ornate, mostly with triple lancets under an oculus. All dormer windows have cross casements and hipped roofs with finials.

The central block has a single-storey triple-arched porch with columns of red sandstone set between wide projecting bays. These have two paired windows on the ground floor, between which is a buttress which supports a canted oriel on the first floor. Above and behind the porch is a wide three storey tower with four corner turrets and a tall steeply-pitched roof with three tiers of gabled dormers. The centre of the middle storey of the tower has a clock flanked by statues of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, sculpted in Longridge stone by Mr Bridgeman of Lichfield and unveiled in 1888, all under an arcade of trefoiled arches under gablets. The long rear wings to left and right have either bay centres between projecting three bay pavilions with separate roofs.

INTERIOR: in the centre block is an imperial staircase with an ornate wrought-iron balustrade which rises behind a triple arch with elaborate waterleaf capitals; further to the rear is the five-bay De Vitre Hall with two-light transomed windows under an oculus and a roof of six arch-braced trusses which have a king post with an arch on either side above the collar.

HISTORY: established as the 'Royal Albert Idiot Asylum for idiots and imbeciles of the seven northern counties.' It accepted both paying patients and those admitted by the vote of subscribers.

Listing NGR: SD4766060082

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383042
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cross, F, Time Honoured Lancaster, (1891), 382-395

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/15271/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Thoume. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].