38-42, PARLIAMENT STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1194984
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Mar-1995
Statutory Address:
38-42, PARLIAMENT STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194984.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 03:11:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
38-42, PARLIAMENT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 48056 62279

Details

LANCASTER

SD4862 PARLIAMENT STREET 1685-1/4/219 (East side) 22/12/53 Nos.38, 40 AND 42 (Formerly Listed as: PARLIAMENT STREET No.38) (Formerly Listed as: PARLIAMENT STREET No.40) (Formerly Listed as: PARLIAMENT STREET No.42)

GV II*

Toll house and inn, now vacant. c1787, altered C20. Built as toll house for Skerton Bridge (qv), which was built 1783-87. Designed by Thomas Harrison as part of his plan for the approach to the new bridge. Sandstone ashlar with squared coursed sandstone to the sides and slate roofs. Built on the axis of the bridge, to terminate the view towards the south when approaching Lancaster. Symmetrical, with taller 2-storey 3-bay centre linked by screen walls to 2-storey 3-bay pavilions with pedimented gables. All the front windows with glazing bar sashes behind temporary covers. The central block (No.40) has a plain ashlar lower storey, and the bays of the upper storey are separated by paired engaged Ionic columns carrying a plain frieze, dentilled cornice, and a blocking course. Above the central window is a blank tablet, and above the outer windows are blind rectangular recesses. The doorway has a pediment carried on plain console brackets and a door of 6 vertical panels below a horizontal glazed panel. The roof is hipped and has chimneys to left and right. The screen walls are each of 5 bays under a cornice and blocking course and have alternating round-headed and rectangular blind recesses. The pavilions have storey bands below the moulded pediments. Each has a blind recess in the centre of the 1st floor, and has a chimney on the front and rear gables. The return wall of each pavilion is of 3 bays (that nearest to the front blind) with a central single-storey ashlar porch which has a cornice and blocking course and has pilasters flanking the doorway. At the rear the central block has a tall stair window and is connected to No.38 (to the south) by a single-storey late C20 restaurant extension. INTERIOR: a stair with stick balusters is visible through the window of the central block.

Listing NGR: SD4805662279

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383252
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/15271/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Thoume. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]England.org.uk.