RED MOUNT CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1195403
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1951
Statutory Address:
RED MOUNT CHAPEL, THE WALKS

Map

Ordnance survey map of RED MOUNT CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195403 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 15:34:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
RED MOUNT CHAPEL, THE WALKS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 62470 19842

Details

KING'S LYNN

TF6219NW THE WALKS 610-1/10/254 Red Mount Chapel 01/12/51

I

Formerly known as: Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount THE WALKS. Wayside Chapel on Walsingham pilgrimage route. 1483-85 by Robert Curraunt, the chapel 1505-06, attributed to Simon Clerk and John Wastell. Brick with ashlar dressings and ashlar core. Octagonal, constructed in the form of 2 concentric drums, the outer of brick. Roof not visible. Basement and 2 storeys to outer drum, a third to inner drum. Random bond brick. 2 set-offs. Corners supported by stepped buttresses with ashlar dressings with an arched opening punched through each. Main entrance to west via timber studded door set under a depressed arch. One trefoil niche right and left. At intervals round the chapel are quatrefoil lights and 2-light mullioned windows, but the top floor of the outer drum is lit through a 4-light stone mullioned window with depressed heads beneath a straight hood mould, one such to each facet. Subsidiary door to north-east facet at ground floor, with, in the next facet clockwise, a 4-light stone mullioned window with hollow, roll and fillet mouldings. Inner drum emerges over roof-line as a stone cruciform illuminated through one encircled quatrefoil oculus to each of the 4 main facets. INTERIOR. Arrangement is of a barrel-vaulted cellar below the twin drums, which are both octagonal below the ashlar chapel. Between the skins are 2 brick staircases with a roll-moulded handrail cut into inner wall. One starts at each external doorway and run counter-wise to each other, arriving at the antechamber to the chapel from opposing directions. Facing main door is a 6-light stone mullioned window with hollow and ovolo mouldings looking down into basement. 2 diamond pane leaded casements remain. Central core is largely brick with ashlar dressings but gives way to ashlar with brick dressings in upper storeys, emerging as all ashlar at chapel. Ample evidence of breaks in the work at top floor of outer drum, and of a change in design. At intervals are good examples of C17 and early C18 grafitti. As staircases emerge at the chapel an ambulatory is formed, C20 timber steps leading into the cruciform sanctuary itself, which is attributed to Clerk and Wastell. Elaborate fan-vaulted roof with recurring motifs of encircled quatrefoils, the 4 limbs having panel tracery. Scheduled Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: TF6247019842

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
384331
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/00725/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].