CELESTIAL CHURCH OF CHRIST, NORTH LONDON PARISH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1195557
Date first listed:
20-Sep-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
09-May-2005
Statutory Address:
CELESTIAL CHURCH OF CHRIST, NORTH LONDON PARISH, CLOUDESLEY SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CELESTIAL CHURCH OF CHRIST, NORTH LONDON PARISH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195557.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2019 at 01:53:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CELESTIAL CHURCH OF CHRIST, NORTH LONDON PARISH, CLOUDESLEY SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31302 83749

Details

This building was up-graded from II to II* on 9th May 2005.

635-1/58/308

ISLINGTON CLOUDESLEY SQUARE Celestial Church of Christ, North London Parish (Formerly listed as: CLOUDESLEY SQUARE, Church Of Holy Trinity) 09-MAY-05

GV II* Church. 1826-1829. By Sir Charles Barry. Grey brick set in Flemish bond, dressings of stone, roof of slate. Chancel and nave under a single roof, north-east and south-east vestries, north and south aisles, north and south porches. Early-C19 Tudor-Gothic style.

EXTERIOR: The gabled east end has a five-light window under a four-centred arch, with one transom, rectilinear tracery and hoodmould, quatrefoil window to gable, clasping buttresses carried up into ogee-topped pinnacles, with setback buttresses superimposed on them; parapeted vestries; four-bay aisles with pointed-arched windows of two lights with rectilinear tracery and hoodmoulds, between buttresses, the third bay from the east filled by a gabled porch with multi-moulded pointed-arched entrance, the mouldings dying into the responds, parapet and pinnacles; two-light windows to clerestory under four-centred arches with hoodmoulds, between pinnacled buttresses; porch bay to west, and then gabled west end flanked by octagonal stone turrets whose upper stages were obscured by scaffolding at the time of inspection; pointed-arched west window with one transom and cinqfoiled tracery; pointed-arched and multi-moulded central west entrance with large hollow chamfer and panelled doors of original design.

INTERIOR: Shallow chancel under a sexpartite vault; four-centred chancel arch. Five-bay arcade with half a blank bay at the west end; the arcade consists of clustered columns with hollow chamfers supporting pointed arches, the column to the nave a vault-shaft. Gallery at west end in last bay of arcade, with billet moulding and arcading to balustrade, wooden pews in stepped gallery; late-C20 partition underneath separating the ground floor entrance rooms. These have a part-glazed and gothic detailed doors and screens. Stone spiral stair in south turret. Lean-to roofs to aisles; nave roof of shallow pitch with decorative trusses and ribs. East window of 1828 by Thomas Willement. The side galleries were removed in 1900, and the pews in the later-C20. Eastern two bays of nave refurbished by Ewan Christian in 1901. Organ case of 1820s. Brick and tile enclosed area of sand known as Mercy Land installed in north east aisle in late-C20. HISTORY: The former Church of the Holy Trinity was Sir Charles Barry's third Islington church, built 1826-9. Before his famous work on the Houses of Parliament, Barry was responsible for the design of several of the 'Commissioners' churches' churches built after the passage of the Act of 1818 that provided for the expenditure of one million pounds on building 214 churches, the majority of which in the Gothic style. Barry's three are considered some of the best of the period that exploited the newly embraced Gothic style. Sir Gilbert Scott referred to Barry's Islington churches years later as 'really respectable and well-intentioned'. The Celestial Church of Christ took on the redundant church in the 1970s.

Listed at Grade II* as a well-surviving early-C19 Commissioner's church by the nationally important architect Sir Charles Barry, that possesses strong Tudor-Gothic architectural qualities throughout its soaring interior and striking exterior. It is amongst the best of the early Gothic style churches of this type and it one of three early-C19 churches by Barry in Islington (St. John's and St. Paul's, both also Grade II*).

TQ3130383750

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
368801
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14777/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].