NEW RIVER HEAD RESEARCH BUILDING (THAMES WATER)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1195723

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1972

Statutory Address: NEW RIVER HEAD RESEARCH BUILDING (THAMES WATER), ROSEBERY AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEW RIVER HEAD RESEARCH BUILDING (THAMES WATER)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195723 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 21:16:57.

Location

Statutory Address: NEW RIVER HEAD RESEARCH BUILDING (THAMES WATER), ROSEBERY AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Islington (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31399 82826

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3182NW ROSEBERY AVENUE 635-1/68/734 (North West side) 29/09/72 New River Head: Research Building (Thames Water)

GV II

Laboratory, research, and office building located in New River Head site, with its main entrance in Arlington Way. 1936-38. By Stanley Hall and Easton and Robertson, architects (John Murray Easton, designer), Walter Lawrence and Son Ltd., builders and John Skeaping, stone carver for the Metropolitan Water Board, patron. Steel frame faced with Himley bricks of brownish-red colour set in stretcher bond (with vertically laid bricks above 1st floor of front block) and Portland stone dressings; hollow tile roof and floor construction, plate glass windows and glass brick panels. Long curved plan to main axis articulated in powerful horizontal expression; attached entrance foyer and semi-circular glazed staircase projection of strong vertical design forms front block on a right angle (cross axis) and faces Arlington Way and Rosebery Avenue. Modern Movement manner. Three storeys with full basement (to main axis only); 21-window range to curve; double-fronted entrance block of 5-window range to Arlington Way, and 5 giant two-storey full-height glass-brick panels set in recess to round-ended left-hand return wall. Front elevation: two-storey full-height giant brick pilaster strips resting on stone plinth with metal casement sashes set in recess to front and glass brick panels set in recess to round-ended return; flanking steps rise to recessed centre entrance; moulded stone cornice above 1st floor; 2nd floor stepped back slightly and with short sashes to main front, plain brick wall to rounded left-hand return with Metropolitan Water Board's coat of arms carved in stone relief to centre, brick parapet with string courses and stone coping. Curved side (main axis) elevation: stone basement; upper floors with metal casement sashes that decrease in height as they go up, stone surrounds with fluted jambs and bracketed sills to ground-floor recessed sashes, of 13-window range; 1st floor ribbon windows articulated by short stone pilaster strips; stone cornice/sill band below 2nd-floor sashes, stone string course above sashes; plain brick parapet with stone coping. INTERIOR: : outstanding circular cantilevered staircase with wrought-iron balusters, bronze handrail; stair treads and hall floor of terrazzo, all lit by full-height panels of glazed bricks and surmounted by a blue ceiling over the stairwell upon which F P Morton incised a figure of Aquarius surrounded by stars in plaster and gilt; other period details include square lighting wall fittings mounted on copper backs, and wood figurative relief sculpture panels above some of the doorways. The building was erected over the site of one of the filter beds that had been installed in place of part of the Outer Pond. Easton and Robertson seem to have specialised in laboratories following their work for London Zoo in 1933-1934. The building's north-south aspect was essential and set as it is in the historic New River Head site it forms a significant group with listed buildings. Additionally, the New River Head Research Building is adjacent to the Sadler's Wells Theatre (q.v.). The laboratory is a simple but powerful design in the modern spirit of Charles Holden or Thomas Tail. (Historians File, English Heritage, London Division: 1990-; ).

Listing NGR: TQ3139982826

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 369257

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing