This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1195741



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Islington

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 369304

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ2986NE ST JOHN'S GROVE 635-1/13/803 (South East side) 20/09/54 St John's Church with St Peter's and churchyard wall and gates (Formerly Listed as: ST JOHN'S GROVE Church of St John)


Anglican church. 1826-28 by Sir Charles Barry. White Suffolk brick laid in Flemish bond with stone dressings; roof obscured by parapet. (All directions are ritual.) Chancel and nave under one roof, north and south aisles, west tower. Gabled east end with diagonal buttresses ending in pinnacles; east window with five lights and one transom, and rectilinear tracery; aisles of seven bays with four-centred-arched windows of two lights and trefoiled tracery, flanked by buttresses with one offset; the outer two over Tudor-arched entrances, the inner five with one transom; the clerestory windows have segmental-pointed arches with two trefoiled lights under a hoodmould; west end has pointed-arched entrance under ogee hoodmould with brattishing, the doors decorated with rectilinear panelling; lancet window above; the west end as a whole flanked by diagonal buttresses rising to pinnacles, the entrance flanked by buttresses which become setback buttresses at tower level; the first stage of the tower has clocks set in a square panel with foliage carving, and louvred two-light openings with rectilinear tracery at the bell stage; embattled parapet and corner pinnacles. Cast-iron rainwater heads with trefoiled panels at east and west ends of the north aisle; parish room of 1874 to east end of south aisle. Walls of white brick with stone coping to north, west and south sides of the churchyard; two pairs of iron gates to Holloway Road; gates to St John's Grove of later date. INTERIOR: . The plan has been somewhat altered, in that originally the pulpit, a narrow rank of seats and the font originally stood in what is now the central aisle; and the chancel fittings were largely added in c.1900; but the later fittings are in keeping with the original ones. Shallow chancel, nave, north and south aisles, galleries to north, south and west sides, inner and outer vestibules. The walls are plastered and the outer aisle walls have a low dado with seating attached. Sexpartite vault to chancel; reredos and panelling of 1901, the reredos having two central panels with two slightly canted narrower wings; the panels divided by engaged columns and decorated with blank tracery of ogee pattern to the central panels and a distorted Tudor-arched pattern in the wings; the wings have painted decoration of 1906; the central panels are brattished at the top, and the outer columns carry crocketed finials; the panelling is decorated with blank intersecting tracery under a deep cove with brattishing above. The floor is covered with encaustic tiles; brass communion rails of 1877. Nave arcade of six bays with one further bay, not arcaded, where the west gallery extends over the inner vestibule; the arcade has pointed arches with slim vault shafts supporting the roof trusses, and a horizontal moulding running just above its apex; the clerestory windows have moulded architraves in the form of slim columns and an archivolt and the lower part is blank, decorated with shields set in quatrefoils. The galleries are carried on the columns of the arcade, and additionally on slim wooden columns at the west end; they have panelled fronts decorated with blank ogee tracery. Roof carried on shallow arched trusses and divided into panels with lozenge-shaped vents to the centre of each bay. Choir stalls in the first bay of the nave, of 190l, with panelled fronts decorated with blank ogee tracery, and poppyheads to bench ends; organ case in easternmost bay of north aisle, also of 190l and decorated in keeping with the chancel panelling; mosaic floor surrounding choir stalls of 1926; oak pulpit resting on a marble base, octagonal in plan on a single shaft square in plan, decorated with cusped and ogee tracery and figures of (presumably) the Evangelists; font at west end, probably of mid-Victorian date, stone, circular and supported on six squat columns. The pews in nave and aisles all appear to be the original box pews.

Listing NGR: TQ2969686649

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 29696 86649


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195741 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 05:31:33.

End of official listing