NISI PRIUS COURTHOUSE, ASSOCIATED OFFICES AND GATE ARCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1196940
Date first listed:
01-Jun-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
NISI PRIUS COURTHOUSE, ASSOCIATED OFFICES AND GATE ARCH, ENGLISH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NISI PRIUS COURTHOUSE, ASSOCIATED OFFICES AND GATE ARCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1196940.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 19:41:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
NISI PRIUS COURTHOUSE, ASSOCIATED OFFICES AND GATE ARCH, ENGLISH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 40250 55669

Details

CARLISLE

NY4055NW ENGLISH STREET 671-1/12/134 (East side) 01/06/49 Nisi Prius Courthouse, associated offices and gate arch (Formerly Listed as: Assize Courts)

GV I

Formerly known as: The Citadel. Citadel, then Court House and Court Offices, now County Council Offices. 1542 by Stephen von Haschenperg with 1809-12 alterations and additions, by Thomas Telford and Sir Robert Smirke. Red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth with string courses, machicolated cornice (in part) and battlemented parapets. C20 greenslate roof on offices without chimneys and hipped lead roof on tower. Tower was formerly the Nisi Prius Court and is oval, the core being the former Citadel east tower, heightened and refaced in C19; clasping NW side is a 2-storey (internally 3 storeys) office block of 6 bays, with mock gate projection into English Street; all in Gothic style. The tower has tall 2-light windows in rounded deeply-recessed chamfered archs, over small lancets and 2-light openings. Office block has left double plank doors in pointed Gothic arch; similar off-centre doorway projects in a battlemented porch, now fitted with a casement window. Ground floor 2-, 3- and 4-light stone mullioned windows above with central trefoil heads in pointed arches. Gate projection is basically an elongated passageway to the court; ends in 2 octagonal turrets flanking central arch under a cross vent; the side walls have been pierced by 2 pointed arches created in 1929 (formerly the pavement went round the turrets). Left return has windows similar to the main facade (some are C20) and blind statue niches. Rear has some C20 windows inserted. INTERIOR of tower retains its galleried semicircular court seating and judges bench (ceased to be used 1971). Ceiling replica replaced in 1980s renovation; much external stonework was replaced in same restoration. Office block interior extensively altered. For further details see references on Crown Court description.

Listing NGR: NY4025055669

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
386723
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/08075/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Spence. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].