Hands on History Museum

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1197660
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
Hands on History Museum, South Church Side, Kingston upon Hull, HU1 1RR

Map

Ordnance survey map of Hands on History Museum
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197660.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2020 at 14:13:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
Hands on History Museum, South Church Side, Kingston upon Hull, HU1 1RR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Kingston upon Hull (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 09880 28526

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/10/2019

TA0928NE 680-1/22/358

KINGSTON UPON HULL SOUTH CHURCH SIDE (South side) Hands on History Museum

(Formerly listed as Old Grammar School Museum, previously listed as SOUTH CHURCH SIDE (South side) Old Grammar School)

13/10/52 GV II* Museum. Built 1583 as the Hull Merchant Adventurers' Hall, restored late C19, 1975 and 1987. Converted to a museum 1987. Brick, with moulded brick dressings and renewed plain tile roof with single C19 gable and ridge stacks and three rear wall stacks, plus a square gable stack. Moulded first floor band and lintel band, low parapet, coped gables.

Two storeys plus attics; four window main block. Four four-light cross mullioned windows on ground and first floors, with moulded brick surrounds, mullions and transoms, and leaded glazing. Between the ground-floor windows, four stone plaques, tw of them with ogee heads, with merchants' marks and the date 1583. On the first floor, a central plaque with the city arms. Above, three late C19 raking dormers with three-light mullioned windows to left and a four-light window to right. To right, an external staircase, now roofed, with moulded brick coping to balustrade wall. Above, to left, a three-light mullioned window and below it, a slightly projecting square porch with string course and coping and segment-headed door with label mould. To right, a slit window on each floor. To right again, another segment-headed door with label mould.

Rear elevation has central buttress and first floor band. To left, a four-light cross casement with moulded brick mullions and surround. To its right, two small single-light windows, then a similar three-light cross casement. Beyond, a single light transomed window, then a cross casement, both with moulded brick mullions and surrounds. Above, to right, three late C19 raking dormers. Below, four four-light cross casements, the three to left with their lower lights blocked, all with moulded brick mullions and surrounds.

INTERIOR has first floor fitted out as folk museum. Ground floor has a cross-beam ceiling, early C19, carried on six late C17 fluted wooden Doric piers, resited c1883. At the south-east end, a blocked Tudor arched doorway and window, both blocked, at basement level. At the west end, a moulded doorcase, late C17, with dentillated double cornice.

This building served until 1766 as the Merchant Adventurers' Hall, and housed the Grammar School until 1878. It subsequently became the Holy Trinity Choir School. Andrew Marvell and William Wilberforce were pupils here.

(Buildings of England: Pevsner T: Yorkshire; York and The East Riding: London: 1972-: 275-276).

Listing NGR: TA0988028526

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387797
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 275-276

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04215/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top