CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1197978
Date first listed:
18-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MIDDLE WOODFORD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197978.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 15:28:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MIDDLE WOODFORD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Woodford
National Grid Reference:
SU 11984 36142

Details

WOODFORD MIDDLE WOODFORD SU 13 NW (west side)

8/260 Church of All Saints 18.2.58 II Anglican parish church. C12, C15, much restored in 1845 by T.H. Wyatt. Tower, flint and limestone chequerwork, the remainder of building C19 Tisbury stone ashlar incorporating C12 worked stone. Tiled roofs, lead to aisles. Nave with south porch, short north and south aisles, chancel with north vestry, and C15 west tower with an external stair tower on north side. Nave has pilaster buttresses, and 2-light cusped windows with label hoods. Aisles have offsetting buttresses and 3-light windows. Parapet. Chancel has high set lancets with dripmouldings, all with varied mask terminals. Three-light east window with C19 curvilinear tracery. Tower is of 2 stages, angle buttresses and 2-light bell openings, crenellated parapet and corner gargoyles. West door and 3-light window over. South porch C19, steeply gabled, with large terminals to four-centred outer arch. C12 inner door with nook shafts and scalloped capitals, and an outer order of arch lozenges, inner of horizontal chevrons. Two centred door set within. Mass dial at high level. Interior: Nave plastered and flagged. C19 roof of 4 bays; arch braced collars on hammer beams, and shaped wind braces to single purlins. Two bay arcade to each short aisle, that on south C15 hollow sided octagonal columns, capitals and imposts, one with trefoiled niche, and arcade repeated in C19 on north. Chancel arch with robust stiff leaf capitals with dog-tooth band on double shafts. Tower arch C15 with inner shaft and outer hollow chamfer, and arch of two hollow chamfered orders. Chancel, also C19, of 2 bays, similar roof. C15 piscina on south side. Fittings: Font C15. Octagonal with quatrefoiled panels on a tapered base. Pulpit C19, oak, with stone approach steps and low balustrade. Pews, choir stalls and communion rail C19. Tower screen, late C16-early C17, round arched arcade with carved spandrels, wider at centre with a pair of doors. Brackets and plaster coving to a canted panelled gallery over. Monuments: Chancel, north side, Gothic limestone monument by Osmund. To William Bowles of Heale House, died 1826. South side: (a) Long sarcophagus tablet of grey and white marble, damaged, to Canon William Bowles, died 1788, and wife. (b) Tablet of grey and white marbles. Arms in monstrance over, cornice, and shaped apron. To Rev John Wyndham, died 1816. Nave, north side: White marble tablet on grey, by Osmund. Gabled corniced tablet to William Lawer, died 1813, and wife and son. North Aisle: Small moulded marble tablet by Croomes, to Mrs Hannah Biggs, a domestic, died 1812, and two terrazzo C20 monuments. South Aisle: (a) Limestone wall monuments carrying a brass panel with strapwork surround, cornice over carrying arms, plinth below. To Gerrard Errington of Heale, died 1596. Some painting. (b) Elegant wall monument in Carrara marble. Oak leaves and scrolls flanking panel. Carved frieze, cornice and shaped gable flanked by lamps. Putto on apron and acanthus brackets. To Edward Polhill, died 1759, and sister, died 1782. Brass: In south aisle, a plain brass 1809 to Philip Self, and C20 brasses in north aisle. Small royal arms of George III, painted. Furniture: C17 chest of 5 carved panes and two differing late C17-early C18 half-octagonal tables with arches between turned legs. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, WILTSHIRE; Churches of South East Wiltshire. RCHM 1987)

Listing NGR: SU1198436142

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
321575
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Churches of South East Wiltshire, (1987)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10313/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Gill Cardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].