CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1199423

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, SWINDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1199423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 16:14:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, SWINDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Langley Burrell Without

National Grid Reference: ST 92767 75794

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANGLEY BURRELL SWINDON ROAD ST 97 NW WITHOUT (east side)

8/177 Church of St Peter

20.12.60

GV 1

Anglican parish church, c1200, c1300, C14 and C15, carefully restored 1890 (chancel) by C.E. Ponting and 1898 (nave and north aisle) by H. Brakspear. Rubble stone with stone slate roofs and coped gables. Nave, north aisle, transeptal south tower with porch in angle, chancel and south east chapel. Nave has coped gables with original east end crucifix finial, c1300 west end with triple stepped cusped lancets. South side has C15 flat headed 4-light window with hoodmould. Hipped porch of c1300 with small upper lancet and gargoyle each face, 2-chamfer pointed arch and Perpendicular 2-light west window with hoodmould. Porch interior has fine C15 tierceron-star vault with carved corbels and bosses, tall plank door in pointed arched doorway, west side stone seat and north side early C18 door to tower in raised moulded depressed- arched surround. Cusped piscina. Three-stage tower, early C14 has flat parapet, ball-flower frieze and large 2-light pointed bell- openings. Second stage has deep-set lancets with trefoil heads. Clasping buttresses. Bottom stage has fine but mutilated early C14 tomb recess with ball-flower and cusping. Eroded paired effigies, said to be of Sir John de la Mere and wife, lord of the manor from 1304. Renewed large 3-light window over. East side has barbed- trefoil head of a C14 window, the lower part lost for small late C15 south east chapel, ashlar, battlemented with flat-headed 3- light window to south (blocked) and to east. Chancel of c1300 has south side,small boarded opening into sedilia and C15 flat-headed 3-light window. East end low angle and centre buttresses and early C14 triple stepped cusped lancets. North side has one C15 three- light window and two c1300 cusped lancets. North aisle has C15 lower pitched roof, ashlar battlemented parapet with finials and 3- light windows on north side each side of C13 pointed door. East end c1300 three-light window and west end c1300 cusped lancet. Interior: Nave has C15 wagon roof with moulded ribs, plaster removed, 5 bays on finely carved corbels. West window has rear arch. Three-bay c1200 north arcade with circular piers, bases and circular caps with sparse stiff-leaf carving. Slightly pointed 2- chamfer arches. At west end a small additional arch added in early C14. Fine moulded chancel arch of c1300, shafted with moulded caps to right, carved leaf caps to left, keel-moulding between large inner shafts and smaller outer shafts. Pointed arch to squint to right and high opening to former rood-loft to left. Tower has heavily moulded north arch, two ogees and one chamfer, head corbels under ringing floor, renewed cinquefoil cusped rear arch to 3-light south window and pointed 3-chamfer arch cut through 2-light east window into south east chapel. Cinquefoil rear arch to original window head, with fine carved head stops. North aisle has C15 low- pitched 4-bay roof, moulded beams, rear arches to west and east windows and mutilated canopied niche with smaller niche over in north east angle. Chancel has plastered roof and two thin king- post trusses. Cinquefoil cusped rear arches to two north lancets, and traces of two similar on south wall. Fine pair of C14 sedilia, the larger one with cinquefoil head and crocketed gable, the smaller one cinquefoil-cusped. Cusped piscina. To right of sedilia, broad C15 four-centred arch into south east chapel. Fittings: Nave c1860 ornate font, C18 fielded panelled pulpit. North aisle C18 baluster font, and large plaque to T. Ashe died 1823, signed T. King. Chancel has stained glass of c1900-10, north wall coloured marble plaque of c1770 to E. Speke, two mid C17 plaques, east end good plaque with carved arms to Rev A. Lynch died 1691 and C18 turned baluster communion rails. South east chapel has fine coloured marble late C18 memorial to M. Humphrys, signed T. Paty & Son, c1695 plaque to M. Rayner and marble floor slab to J. Ashe died 1704. (N. Pevsner Wiltshire 1975 291-2)

Listing NGR: ST9276575796

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 315990

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 291-2

End of official listing