Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1200876

Date first listed: 08-Nov-1949

Statutory Address: 13, BRIDGELAND STREET


Ordnance survey map of 13, BRIDGELAND STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200876 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 14:20:22.


Statutory Address: 13, BRIDGELAND STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Bideford

National Grid Reference: SS 45339 26822


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SS4526 BRIDGELAND STREET 842-1/5/33 (North side) 08/11/49 No.13


House, now public house. 1692, the facade and parts of the interior remodelled early or mid C19. Solid rendered walls, probably of brick and stone underneath. Slate roof. Rendered chimney at left-hand end of front ridge. Plan of 2 rooms wide, probably with central entrance-passage originally; rear wing on left, with staircase at the front and kitchen behind. Early or mid C19 wing on right. 3 storeys. 3-window range with centre doorway. Latter has attached, plain-shafted Doric columns, panelled reveals and entablature; 6-panelled door with brass knocker. Ground-storey windows are canted, flat-topped wooden bays with reeded half-columns between the lights, these supporting entablatures with bracketed cornices; 8-paned sashes in the middle, 6-paned ones at the sides. Upper-storey windows have eared architraves, those to second storey moulded; bracketed sills to third storey. 8-paned sashes to both storeys. Whole front flanked by raised quoins. Bracketed eaves-cornice. Rear windows have mostly barred sashes, some with margin-panes; stair windows similar, one with engraved glass in margin-panes. INTERIOR: ground-storey rooms mainly amalgamated to form restaurant. Right-hand front room has original box-cornice on 3 sides. Kitchen has complete original moulded cornice. Wide fireplace in rear wall with moulded wooden cornice; at either side, high up, cupboards with sunk, bolection-moulded panelled doors and hinges. Other ground-floor rooms have early or mid C19 cornices. Original wooden dog-leg staircase, rising from ground to top floor: closed, pulvinated strings, stout turned balusters, square newels with flat moulded caps, flat moulded handrail. The first-floor front rooms have early or mid C19 cornices; the right-hand room has a wooden chimneypiece, probably of C1900, with original cast-iron grate and green-tiled surround. All 3 third-storey rooms have 6-panelled doors; that in left front room with 2-fillet ovolo-moulded panels, that to right with raised-and-fielded, one-fillet ovolo-moulded panels, that to wing with ogee-moulded panels. Right-hand front room has early or mid C19 chimneypiece with cast-iron basket-grate. This was a Bideford Bridge Trust property, first leased to Richard Smith on 20.3.1692/3. Smith appears to have died in 1704, and his widow, Mary, took out a new lease in 1705. (Bideford Bridge Trust Surveys: A1/12).

Listing NGR: SS4533926822


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 375745

Legacy System: LBS


Bideford Bridge Trust, Survey,

End of official listing