This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LOWER WAITING ROOM, CLIFF RAILWAY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LOWER WAITING ROOM, CLIFF RAILWAY

List entry Number: 1201155

Location

LOWER WAITING ROOM, CLIFF RAILWAY, THE ESPLANADE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lynton and Lynmouth

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 376542

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH

SS7149 THE ESPLANADE, Lynmouth 858-1/4/85 (South side) Lower Waiting Room, Cliff Railway

GV II

Waiting room with attached workshop, at lower end of Cliff Railway. 1890. Paid for by Sir George Newnes, built by Bob Jones. Timber-framed, rubble, asbestos-cement slate roof. A rectangular pavilion with deep projecting decorative gable to the S side, at the foot of the railway. This front has a diagonally-boarded gable behind an open truss with curved braces and barge-board, over a large plate-glass light and narrower light each side of a framed door with diagonal planking. The return has 4 similar glazed panels, each with a flanking narrower light in the upper half, but the first and third panels have diagonal boarding. The frame members are of square scantling, with chamfered members to run-out stops at each junction. The outer gable, facing the Esplanade, has the diagonal boarding, but is blocked below by a later service block. To the W of the main pavilion is a small workshop in rubble, extended by a later lean-to. INTERIOR: has a concrete floor, and is in 2 bays with a king-post roof truss with cross-bracing, all the members with stopped chamfers, as the main framing. HISTORICAL NOTE: the pavilion is little changed, and still serves its original purpose. It originally had a tiled roof, and is similar in style to the Upper Waiting Room, Lee Road (qv). The railway was opened on Easter Day, 1890. It was funded by Sir George Newnes, and built by Bob Jones. The builder's grandson, still working for the railway, says that "Newnes' money and Jones' brains built Lynton and Lynmouth", which included this work.

Listing NGR: SS7216949656

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS7216949656

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201155 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 05:42:13.

End of official listing