TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201655
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Mar-1993
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, GREAVES STREET
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, YORKSHIRE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201655 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 07:52:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, GREAVES STREET
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, YORKSHIRE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Oldham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 92728 05019

Details

OLDHAM

SD9204NE YORKSHIRE STREET 780-1/6/99 (East side) 23/01/73 Town Hall (Formerly Listed as: YORKSHIRE STREET Town Hall) (Formerly Listed as: GREAVES STREET Side facade of the Town Hall)

GV II

Town Hall, incorporating courts and civic offices. 1841, extended 1879-80. By George Woodhouse of Bolton, Edward Potts of Oldham. Main block facing Yorkshire Street, ashlar faced, rusticated to ground floor, with slate roof. Austere Greek revival style. 2 storeys, 7 bays with Ionic portico advanced to central 3 bays. City arms in pediment. Central paired panelled doors with overlight in architrave with entablature carried on console brackets. The outer bays are articulated by shallow pilasters, and each has a 2-pane sash window. Returns are brick with stone dressings, and are linked to the later extensions which form long ranges fronting Greaves Street and Firth Street. Elevation to Greaves Street is sandstone ashlar, rusticated to ground floor, and vermiculated to massive basement plinth. Two-and-a-half storeys with attic, 5 bays, with 3 windows in outer and central bays. Central entrance in concave recessed architrave with Gibbs surround and massive keystone. Windows over doorway in recess spanned by high arch. Tripartite leaded window to first floor with cast-iron balconette. Round-arched leaded window to second floor. The advanced outer bays have coupled Ionic piers to first floor, carrying heavy cornice each side of the high central arch. Between these piers are concave full-height architraves divided by a band of stone carrying coats of arms in high relief. Square windows in moulded architraves to attic storey above. Greek key frieze over attic storey which has windows in the outer bays, and raised central blocking course with incised panels. Return elevation of 3 bays with doorway with high arch over central window and doorways on upper side. Long white glazed brick wing to west, comprising original courts and police accommodation: ventilation towers from cells still visible in roof. Return elevation to Greaves Street comprises a series of blocks employing a free monumental classical style. To rear of Firth Street block, 4 bays articulated by engaged Ionic pilasters over the ground floor, with heavy modillion cornice below attic storey, then advanced block, divided above the ground floor into three bays articulated by pilasters, the wider central bay blind. Attic storey over cornice. Beyond this, 2 similar blocks of 3 bays articulated by Corinthian pilasters over high basement, and with balustraded parapets. INTERIOR of original building has central corridor running the length of the original building, with staircase towards rear. Corridor gives access to main stair hall of additional block, which has stained glass window with figures representing industry, science, etc. Original building intended to include magistrates and committee rooms, public meeting and concert rooms, and borough surveyors offices. Wing of 1880 included police and courts accommodation, in addition to council chamber, mayor's parlour, and committee rooms. (Slater: Directory of Oldham: Oldham: 1895-).

Listing NGR: SD9272805019

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388963
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/02821/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].