CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201770

Date first listed: 28-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Aug-1992

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, LAIRD STREET

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAMES'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201770 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 05:08:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, LAIRD STREET

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAMES'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 29689 89970

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIRKENHEAD

SJ28NE ST JAMES'S ROAD 789-1/3/143 Church of St James 28/03/74

GV II

Parish church. Begun 1845 by C.E.Lang, finished 1858 by Walter Scott. Coursed and squared rubble with Welsh slate roof. Nave with two aisles, transepts and chancel, north-west tower and spire. Early English style. Buttressed western gable with 6 arcaded lancets, alternately blind and glazed. Rose window over with chevron moulding. 3-stage tower with clasping buttresses terminating in pilaster-shafts at upper level. North doorway with paired shafts. Lancet windows above, and triple-arched bell chamber lights. Corbel table. Spire with lucarnes. Gabled porch to south west, with steep moulded arch with paired shafts. 5-bay aisle divided by gabletted buttresses, with wide lancet windows with shafts. Triple lancet windows to clerestory. Plain corbel table over aisle and clerestory. Paired lancets with shafts and quatrefoil over to transept. North aisle and transept similarly detailed. East walls of transepts have raking arcaded trefoiled windows to former gallery, and flying buttresses to nave. Chancel divided by buttresses into 3 unequal bays with paired plain lancets. 3 stepped lancets to east window. Interior: Nave arcade of 5 bays with cylindrical shafts with alternately ring moulded and foliate capitals. Heavily moulded arches. Clustered shafts to transept arch and eastern responds. Pilasters support main roof trusses which are scissor braced with side purlins. Paired trusses to west, and to each side of transepts. Clustered shafts to chancel arch. Octagonal stone pulpit with enriched foiled panels. Oak reredos with central traceried niche housing cross flanked by paired traceried panels with angels on riddle posts, and surmounted by enriched frieze. Oak reredos to altar in south transept dated 1913 and removed from St Mary's church (q.v.). Marble font, a circular basin with squared shafts at cardinal points mounted on mosaic floor. Oak screen along west wall with coving and foliate frieze. Copper light fittings in nave. Stained glass in east window, Jones and Willis, 1913, figures of Saints James and John either side of Christ. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-).

Listing NGR: SJ2968989970

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 389341

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

End of official listing