WOLVERHAMPTON GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201804
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1977
Statutory Address:
WOLVERHAMPTON GRAMMAR SCHOOL, COMPTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOLVERHAMPTON GRAMMAR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201804 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 23:11:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
WOLVERHAMPTON GRAMMAR SCHOOL, COMPTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 89982 98669

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO89NE COMPTON ROAD 895-1/4/76 (South side) 03/02/77 Wolverhampton Grammar School

II

School. 1875 with additions of 1890. By Giles and Gough. Brick with ashlar dressings; tile roofs. Victorian Tudor Revival style. Single-storey 8-window hall range; 4-storey entrance tower with small 2-storey connecting bay to left and 4-window range to right, formerly accommodation wing; former headmaster's residence to right of 2 storeys; 3-window range with 2-window return. Hall has weathered buttresses, end angle buttresses with pinnacles; brick parapet and stone-coped gables; architraved double-chamfered-mullioned windows with Tudor heads to lights and 2 transoms; ventilation lantern to ridge; return 5-light window with 4-centred head. Tower has higher octagonal turret to left; Tudor-arched entrance with label mould raised over shields and sidelight; sill courses to 1st and 2nd floors; frieze of shields above 2nd floor; top embattled parapets; mullioned and transomed windows with leaded glazing; top blocked roundel; right return has C18 cartouche; mullioned and transomed windows to block to left and range to right, gableted to 1st floor; large canted bay window to right end and gable-end stack. Headmaster's residence has gabled projection to right; central entrance in gabled porch with pointed arch; casemented windows; 1st floor gablets; cross-axial stack; return similar. Rear similar, with gabled single-storey and canted organ loft to hall; some later wings. INTERIOR: hall has hammer-beam roof; some fielded panelling; C20 balcony and panelling below; 2 hooded fireplaces with armorial bearings; C20 stained glass and some panels from St Andrew's, Undershaft, London; memorial plaques from old school building. School was founded by Stephen Jenys of the Merchant Taylors' Guild, 1515, and was later moved from C18 building (dem) in town centre. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.325).

Listing NGR: SO8998298669

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378393
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 325

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/02904/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr GW Tanner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].