Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202152.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 01:44:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58790 72998



ST5872NE CORN STREET, Centre 901-1/16/567 (North West side) 08/01/59 No.43 Bristol Commercial Rooms and attached area railings (Formerly Listed as: CORN STREET (North side) No.43 Bristol Commercial Rooms)


Club, above bank vault now restaurant. 1810. By CA Busby. Sculpture by JG Bubb. Limestone ashlar, roof not visible. Open plan. Neoclassical style. Single storey and basement; 2-window range. A symmetrical front has a pedimented Ionic tetrastyle front, with a recessed centre and single windows each side, a sill band, entablature and blocking course, and tall parapet set back with a dentil cornice and blocking course. 2 doorways have architraves to half-glazed double doors beneath a dentil cornice round the central recess, with a wide panel above of Britannia being brought the 4 corners of the world. The windows have panelled aprons, carved sill blocks, architraves and pediments. Above are 2 female statues flanking Britannia to the middle with a spear and shield. Left-hand marble winder steps down to a basement doorway with a coffered segmental head, marble-lined area in front with green marble pilasters, panelled double doors and overlight; in front are double cast-iron gates with turned balusters, and cartouches inscribed THE OCEAN SAFE DEPOSIT. INTERIOR: large club room with a dentil cornice, rectangular ceiling opening with panelled spandrels to a glazed drum, with caryatids and lattice glazing to a domed ceiling; 2 fire surrounds each side have black reeded jambs to corner roundels, and an Ionic tetrastyle timber screen to the rear; at the S end is a clock, and the N end a matching dial giving wind direction; the doorway into the room has a good shell hood and pediment above. Rear left-hand dining room has a crested cornice and balcony, now floored over, with bowed cast-iron railings, and black marble Egyptian Revival-style fire surround with battered jambs and reeded coved corbels to the mantel shelf; entrance lobby lined with green marble, with brown faience dressings to doorways, and green coffered faience ceiling. Details of the basement include a marble lined and floored lobby with green marble pilasters and architrave to a half-glazed door, a panelled left-hand room with festoon, moulded beams and black and white marble floor, and a steel-lined former security vault to the right-hand side with safe doors. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area cast-iron railings with diagonal bars to central circles, and posts for sliding gates. Bristol's first building with Neoclassical awareness of accurate historical precedence, following on from Harrison's Lyceum in Liverpool. Used as club for mercantile interests, hence the wind vane indicator to advise on the arrival of shipping. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 232; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 424).

Listing NGR: ST5879072998


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 232
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 424


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01542/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Frederick Rushby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].