CHURCH OF ST GEORGE BRANDON HILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1202248
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE BRANDON HILL, GREAT GEORGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE BRANDON HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202248 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 13:18:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE BRANDON HILL, GREAT GEORGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58135 72993

Details

BRISTOL

ST5872NW GREAT GEORGE STREET 901-1/15/106 (North West side) 08/01/59 Church of St George, Brandon Hill (Formerly Listed as: GREAT GEORGE STREET (North side) Church of St George)

GV II*

Church, now concert hall. 1821-3. By Sir Robert Smirke. Limestone and Pennant ashlar, roof not visible. Longitudinal plan, built on lateral vaulted chambers, with sanctuary behind portico and U-plan galleries to first floor. Greek Revival style. A tetrastyle porch with Greek Doric Theseion order columns on shallow Pennant plinths; behind it are 3 doorways with moulded architraves and C20 doors, under a plat band and 3 semicircular-arched windows; surmounting the pediment is a short square pedestal and a round lantern, with Doric pilasters to alternate blind and louvred square windows, and a dome with acroteria. N elevation of 7 bays has a rusticated basement, cornice and parapet; almost square lower windows with beaded reveals and semicircular-arched upper ones above a plat band; similar S elevation. Projecting centre to the W end has 2 flights of stairs on either side with curtail steps; 2 shallow pilasters flank a door with a cornice on brackets, and a semicircular-arched window above; to the sides are similar doors with blind windows. INTERIOR: entrance lobby from the W end and portico from the liturgical E end; U-plan panelled galleries to sides and W end on fluted cast-iron Doric columns, and panelled plaster ceiling with painted roses and other Greek Revival mouldings. Open-well stone stairs lead up to galleries from portico. Lateral vaulted crypt. Inserted stage to W end c1987. FIXTURES: late C19 pews, C18 box pews in the galleries, and a large square marble font on short shafts. Marble sanctuary furniture by Foster and Wood c1878 in storage. A Waterloo church, built as a chapel-of-ease to Cathedral of St Augustine (qv), and converted to a concert hall c1987. A notable piece of Greek Revival architecture, Smirke being a leading practitioner of the style. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 236; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 389; Gomme A: Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest: 27).

Listing NGR: ST5813572993

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379652
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A, Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest27
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 236
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 389

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/16430/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].