CHAPEL ROW AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA WALLS, PIERS AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1202307

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: CHAPEL ROW AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA WALLS, PIERS AND RAILINGS, 266, HOTWELL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL ROW AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA WALLS, PIERS AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202307 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 01:01:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAPEL ROW AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA WALLS, PIERS AND RAILINGS, 266, HOTWELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 56955 72584

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5672NE HOTWELL ROAD, Hotwells 901-1/13/1443 (South East side) 08/01/59 No.266 Chapel Row and attached front area walls, piers and railings (Formerly Listed as: HOTWELL ROAD (North side) No.266 Chapel Row)

GV II

Attached house. 1725-27. By George Tully. Render over brick with limestone dressings, brick party wall stacks and a pantile double-depth roof half-hipped to the left. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys and basement; 3-window range. Articulated by rusticated pilaster strips to a moulded coping, with moulded strings to each floor running over the pilasters. Left-hand doorway has scrolled brackets to a pediment, a moulded frame, 3-pane overlight and 8-panel door. Lintels with rusticated voussoirs to 6/6-pane sashes in flush frames, taller on the first floor; single hipped dormer. Right-hand steps down to basement door set in semicircular arch. Rear elevation has a full-height hipped projection across the party wall with No.264, a central 8/8-pane stair sash, and a tall half dormer set back with a 6/6-pane sash. INTERIOR not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area brick walls and capped, banded piers to spear-headed cast-iron railings and gates with urn finials. Part of the Dowry Square development laid out by Tully from 1720. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 103; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 157).

Listing NGR: ST5695572584

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379808

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 103
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 157

End of official listing