FORMER PRO-CATHEDRAL OF THE HOLY APOSTLES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1202410

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: FORMER PRO-CATHEDRAL OF THE HOLY APOSTLES, PARK PLACE, CLIFTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER PRO-CATHEDRAL OF THE HOLY APOSTLES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202410 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 20:32:35.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER PRO-CATHEDRAL OF THE HOLY APOSTLES, PARK PLACE, CLIFTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: ST5773473210

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/01/2013

ST5773SE 901-1/9/905

BRISTOL PARK PLACE, Clifton (South West side) Former Pro-Cathedral of the Holy Apostles

(Formerly listed as Bristol Waldorf School)

II

Former Roman Catholic pro-cathedral, later a school. c1834. By HH Goodridge for Bishop Baines. Work stopped 1845, interior and roof by C Hansom 1848, partly refaced and extended 1870-76 by Hansom. Bath stone ashlar; 1870 extension Pennant rubble; slate roof. Greek Revival-style 1834 work, Northern Italian Gothic Revival-style for 1870 alterations and school. Arcaded nave, transept, and school room across the W end. The 1834 work consists of a 6-bay N elevation articulated by column shafts with entasis to overhanging eaves, with banded walls between, pierced by c1870 semicircular-arched windows, and a flat-headed window to the transept with architrave and console sill blocks. Similar S elevation, with a basement with windows with pilaster jambs to recessed lintels and a rendered C20 range above, and 3 doorways to the transept with architraves; E end obscured by ivy and the Bishop's Palace (qv). The c1870 W end has a single storey 6-bay elevation, with raised gables set forward at each end containing semicircular arches on paired Pennant columns and alternate voussoirs carved with Zodiacal symbols, beneath cartouches held by angels. The left-hand gable has a deeply-set 8-light wheel window with trefoil heads in a moulded architrave, above a semicircular-arched doorway with 3 orders to stiff leaf capitals and a panelled door; the right-hand gable has a weathered sill to 3 deeply-set semicircular-arched windows with a round panel above containing a Tudor head. The centre has a weathered sill band, chevron band above and machicolated frieze to the parapet, with paired semicircular-arched windows separated by pilaster strips. The right-hand return has 2:3:2 windows as the front, with a right-hand gable, as the front, supported by C20 props, with a tympanum carved with New Testament scene, and darker limestone alternate voussoirs to the arch. The nave gable has a raised central section, divided by plain square buttresses, with a panelled band across and down the raking aisles, a central blind round window above with 12 round panels and panelled bands to the sides and beneath, and brackets above supporting a tripartite balcony with a central arch; the gable has a parapet with blind semicircular arches on thick columns. INTERIOR: 9-bay nave with timber posts to semicircular arches between and across the aisles and nave, and a clerestory arcade along the nave, Gothic ashlar reredos to raised chancel; narthex has central tripartite arches with round columns with crocket capitals and carved relief frieze, with 3 blind arches each side, and a tiled floor; the school has a flight of steps up from the entrance, to a gallery above the full-width hall; brick vaulted crypt. HISTORICAL NOTE: the original design envisaged a large Classical temple overlooking the city, with pedimented ends and Corinthian columns. The foundations were laid in 1834, but work stopped and bankruptcy ensued after they shifted in 1845. To the half-finished columns, Hansom constructed a light-weight timber church, 'on shipbuilding principles' (Crick). The 1870 design for its completion, also by Hansom, included the Lombardic re-working of the W end along the sides to the transepts, and building a SW campanile in the same manner. The building across the W end was intended as a school room, and the Gothic Revival house at the E end for a Bishop's Palace (qv). (Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 6, 32; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 243).

Listing NGR: ST5773473210

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 380089

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crick, C , Victorian Buildings in Bristol, (1975), 6 32
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 243

End of official listing