This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CITY MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY AND ATTACHED FRONT WALLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CITY MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY AND ATTACHED FRONT WALLS

List entry Number: 1202478

Location

CITY MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY AND ATTACHED FRONT WALLS, QUEEN'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 380277

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873SW QUEEN'S ROAD 901-1/10/228 (North East side) 01/11/66 City Museum and Art Gallery and attached front walls (Formerly Listed as: QUEENS ROAD (North side) City Museum and Art Gallery)

GV II*

Museum and gallery. Dated 1899-1904. By Sir F Wills. Limestone ashlar, roof not visible. Rectangular open plan in 2 sections. Edwardian Baroque style. 3 storeys; 3-window range. A monumental front has a deeply projecting centre over a porte cochere. Vermiculated outer quoins to a frieze, modillion cornice and parapet; centre has a rock-faced plinth to a band, vermiculated ground floor to a plat band, and paired Ionic clasping pilasters. The centre section breaks forward, with paired Ionic columns from the first floor to a pediment surmounted by an outer balustrade and central pedestal with Beaux Arts statuary. First-floor half-domed 5-light mullion bow, under a raised panel inscribed THE GIFT OF SIR HENRY WILLIAM WILLS BART TO HIS FELLOW CITIZENS 1904, and a large carving of the city arms. To each side are relief carvings of artists' palettes. Outer semicircular-arched 3-light mullion windows and a key, with stained glass; above are swagged panels. The porte cochere has semicircular arches front and side with coved reveals and large keys giving on to a vaulted area, with a semicircular-arched doorway with coved reveals and a cartouche inscribed 1902, and 2 pairs of half-glazed doors. Side windows have 3 lights and moulded lintels. Festoon panels over the outer windows. INTERIOR: 2 large halls with barrel-vaulted glazed roofs, separated by a double staircase. The front hall is 6 bays long and 3 wide, a balcony on carved figure brackets above the door extends round the sides, and an arcade above with piers to the roof; reliefs of painters' names to each side bay in swagged panels. An imperial stair reached through an arched screen, of Corinthian columns to a second-floor balustrade, supported over a first-floor balcony by marble columns. Behind is a further stair with paired columns under a Diocletian wndow. The rear hall is 4 bays long, a ground-floor arcade of segmental arches, a Doric frieze and first-floor arcade, with paired Corinthian columns separated by paired semicircular arches on marble columns, and a balustrade. Each end has a Venetian arch under a Diocletian window. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rock-faced walls to the front have 4 good lanterns on pedestals. The building was paid for by Sir H Wills, and is Bristol's only major public building of the period. A well contrived and lit interior to match the weight of the front; '..a free Baroque design of magnificent proportions' (Crick). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 391; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 62; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 417).

Listing NGR: ST5805973230

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Crick, C , Victorian Buildings in Bristol, (1975), 62
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 391
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 417

National Grid Reference: ST 58059 73230

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202478 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 05:11:38.

End of official listing