NUMBERS 3-13 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS AND GATES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202489
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
3-13, REDCLIFFE PARADE WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 3-13 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS AND GATES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202489.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 00:38:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
3-13, REDCLIFFE PARADE WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58875 72296

Details

ST5872 901-1/42/1686

BRISTOL, Redcliffe, REDCLIFFE PARADE WEST (South side), Nos.3-13 (Consecutive) and attached front area railings and gates

(Formerly Listed as: REDCLIFF PARADE (WEST) Nos.1-13 (Consecutive))

04/03/77

GV II

Terrace of 11 houses, Nos 3-8 now one office. 1768-71. Stucco with limestone dressings, brick party wall stacks, slate and pantile mansard and hipped roofs. Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian style. Each of 3 storeys, basement and attic; 3-window range. Pilasters to a moulded parapet coping, coped gables and party walls. Nos 4-7 have left-hand doorways, the rest on the right, tall with architraves and consoles to cornices, some good rectangular fanlights, and 6-panel doors. Steps down to a basement dooorway. Plain keyed architraves to some 8/8-pane sashes, the rest plate glass. C19 hipped dormers and large C20 4-light casement dormers. Nos 3-8 form one office, and the doorways of Nos 5-7 have been made into windows. The entrance to No.3 in the left return is blocked. The entrance to No.13 in the right return has steps to a C19 tented porch and a semicircular-arched doorway; to the left is a full-height canted ashlar bay with plat bands and a crenellated parapet, and 6/6-pane sashes flanked by 4/4-pane sashes. INTERIOR: entrance hall with wainscot, divided by a semicircular arch with panelled soffit; a rear dogleg winder stair with column-on-vase balusters, column newels and a toadback rail, with a curved bay for the return with 2 niches; the upper flights have an uncut string; 6-panel doors and panelled shutters. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wrought-iron front area railings and gates have urn finials. HISTORICAL NOTE: Planned as half of a pair of matching terraces, the eastern half was abandoned after 2 houses, and completed to a different design. Painted by Samuel Jackson 1825. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 216; The Bristol Landscape - The Watercolours of Samuel Jackson: Bristol: 1986-: 18).

Listing NGR: ST5887572296

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380312
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 216
Greenacre, , Stoddard, , The Bristol Landscape The Watercolours of Samuel Jackson, (1986), 18

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15450/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].