NUMBERS 24, 26 AND 28 INCLUDING PART OF NUMBER 22

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202626
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 24, 26 AND 28 INCLUDING PART OF NUMBER 22, 24,26 AND 28, THE MALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 24, 26 AND 28 INCLUDING PART OF NUMBER 22
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202626 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 18:21:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 24, 26 AND 28 INCLUDING PART OF NUMBER 22, 24,26 AND 28, THE MALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 56964 73121

Details

BRISTOL

ST5673SE THE MALL, Clifton 901-1/7/1063 (North East side) 08/01/59 Nos.24, 26 AND 28 including part of No.22 (Formerly Listed as: THE MALL (East side) Nos.18, 20 AND 24-28 (Even))

GV II

Part of the assembly rooms, now pair of attached houses and shops. 1806-9. By Francis Greenway. Interior by Joseph Kay. Limestone ashlar, party wall stacks and a slate mansard roof. Double-depth plan. Classical style. 3 storeys and attic; 7-window range. Late C19 shop fronts have panelled jambs to decorative consoles and panelled facias. 1809 upper floors with 3:1:2:1 windows, the wider sections broken forward, with a shallow bay to the left-hand one, a thin cornice to the right and a deeper one to the bow. The 4-window right-hand section has windows with raised surrounds, carved capitals, keys and sill blocks to plate-glass sashes with margin panes, and a C20 mansard with 3 dormers; 6/6-pane first-floor and 3/3-pane second-floor sashes to the left. Rear late C19 bay windows have stained-glass leaded lights. INTERIOR: extensively remodelled with removal of walls. Part of the upstairs included with No.22, The Clifton Club (qv). Originally the left-hand wing of the Assembly Rooms, consisting of a pair of houses with rusticated basements as No.22 (qv), and doorways in the recessed sections. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 218; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 130).

Listing NGR: ST5696473121

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380686
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 218
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 130

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03229/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril N. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].