CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY WITH ST EDMUND

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1202667

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY WITH ST EDMUND, WELLINGTON HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY WITH ST EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202667 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 17:55:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY WITH ST EDMUND, WELLINGTON HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 59178 76727

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST57NE WELLINGTON HILL, Horfield 901-1/53/1413 (North side) 04/03/77 Church of the Holy Trinity with St Edmund

II*

Also known as: Horfield Parish Church WELLINGTON HILL Horfield. Church. C15 W tower, c1847 nave and aisles by W Butterfield, chancel and crossing tower dated 1893 and transepts 1913 and 1929. MATERIALS: squared, coursed Lias for the medieval work, snecked Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and a slate roof. PLAN: cruciform plan with west tower and crossing tower, south porch and north-west chapel. Perpendicular style, except Decorated Gothic Revival-style nave. EXTERIOR: chancel has angle buttresses and E window with reticulated tracery; side chapel to the N with 2-light E window, and c1920 flat roof annex with saddleback coped parapet, and an octagonal ashlar stair turret. N transept has a 7-light mullion ground-floor window with leaded metal casements between buttresses, and a similar 3-light first-floor window. 3-bay N aisle has flat-headed 3-light windows flanking a similar 2-light one, and a clerestory dormer to the E with reticulated tracery. Over the crossing is a squat tower with 2 windows on each elevation, stepped crenellations and a pyramidal roof. At the NW corner is an early C20 single-storey chapel with angle buttresses, a plain N door flanked by arrow slits with a crenellated parapet and square pinnacles. The S transept has a large 3-light window with chamfered reveals and a hood with king and bishop stops, and an open porch with a scroll-moulded reveal with an inner door with leaded overlight. Open porch to the W end, with wide, clasping buttresses and small side windows. Small, 2-stage C15 west tower with diagonal buttresses and a low, plain door, beneath a 2-light window with hollow chamfered mouldings and a hood with scrolled stops; 1- and 2-light windows to the second stage, a S clock, and ashlar crenellations with crocketed pinnacles. INTERIOR: 1-bay chancel, a square-section round arch to the S, with an open piscina set in the springer. Wide arches either side of the choir on hexagonal responds and foliate caps. In the N transept is a C20 painted organ loft. Pointed arches with foliate capitals around the crossing and to the aisles. 3-bay nave with pointed arches on hexagonal shafts and moulded capitals. Arch-braced queen-post roof on ovolo corbels. Glazed C20 W screen with green glass; wooden winder stair up into W tower. FITTINGS: C16 octagonal stone font with tracery panels, and an octagonal pulpit on a short shaft, with open Tudor arches and Tudor roses, with iron-railed steps up. 5 bells, the 4 largest dated 1773. MEMORIALS: include a number of wall tablets from 1763. The church is set within an unusual circular graveyard. (Horfield Parish Church, A Short History: 1980-).

Listing NGR: ST5917876727

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 380800

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Horfield Parish Church A Short History, (1980)

End of official listing