BAPTIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED WALLS, RAILINGS, GATES AND GATE PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202944
Date first listed:
06-Sep-1974
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Dec-1993
Statutory Address:
BAPTIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED WALLS, RAILINGS, GATES AND GATE PIERS, NORTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAPTIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED WALLS, RAILINGS, GATES AND GATE PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202944 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 02:02:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
BAPTIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED WALLS, RAILINGS, GATES AND GATE PIERS, NORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Crewkerne
National Grid Reference:
ST4408209995

Details

CREWKERNE

ST4409 NORTH STREET 876-1/7/146 Baptist Church and attached walls, 06/09/74 railings, gates and gate piers (Formerly Listed as: NORTH STREET (West side) Baptist Church. Manse attached to south of Baptist Church Forecourt railings)

II

Baptist Chapel, 1820, enlarged 1830, present facade is dated 1880. MATERIALS: coursed and squared limestone with Ham Hill stone quoins, pilasters, doorcases, pediments and plinth; hipped slate roof. PLAN: square plan with a 2-storey schoolroom behind and 2 late C19 rear wings which have segmental arches to cream brick architraves; a connecting toilet range completes a small courtyard. EXTERIOR: single-storey; symmetrical 5-window range. 3 tall round-arched windows with margin panes and articulated by shallow pilasters, fill a stepped-forward pedimented gable with a moulded cornice and antefixae; the tympanum has raised letters -1880- NORTH STREET CHAPEL. The double 2-panel doors to the outer bays are set in similar but smaller projecting pedimented porches, the pilasters of which are tapered; windows above are similar but much shorter than those to the centre. To the rear is a lower schoolroom range; to the left is the manse (qv). INTERIOR: has late C19 pews and is surrounded by tongued-and-grooved matchboarding below the dado rail. The front of the gallery, curved at the corners and bracketed out over cast-iron columns, is fretted and panelled. The pulpit against the rear wall has cast-iron ornamental balusters to the front and to the flanking stairs which have fretted ends, chamfered newels with ball finials and panelling below. The organ in the rear left corner of the ground floor, has painted ornament on the pipes. Simple coved ceiling to schoolroom. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to the schoolroom, to the rear right, is a rubblestone right-flank wall with gate piers to the centre. Fronting the chapel and manse (qv) are spearhead railings on an off-set Ham Hill stone plinth, with a matching gate with long/short railings and across to the base. Supporting the gate, and to the sides, are stone piers, panelled to the sides of the domed caps, and with panelled shafts. The right-hand pier fronts a long rubblestone wall extending back to the school room, with gate piers to the the middle. HISTORY: Pulman states that the chapel was built in 1820 and enlarged in 1830 with " 3 galleries, in one of which is an organ, and will seat about four hundred and fifty adults. A school room behind, built only a few years since, is one of the best rooms in the town. To this is attached a wing, used on Sundays as an infant schoolroom." (Pulman GPR: The Book of The Axe: Kingsmead Reprints Bath: 1875-1969: P.330).

Listing NGR: ST4408209995

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390424
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pulman, G P R, The Book of the Axe, (1969), 330

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/10091/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Judie Burman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].