ST BARTHOLOMEW'S CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL AND ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1203024

Date first listed: 06-Dec-1993

Statutory Address: ST BARTHOLOMEW'S CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL AND ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS, BARN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST BARTHOLOMEW'S CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL AND ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203024 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 04:18:02.

Location

Statutory Address: ST BARTHOLOMEW'S CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL AND ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS, BARN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Crewkerne

National Grid Reference: ST 43894 09581

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CREWKERNE

ST4309 BARN STREET 876-1/6/20 (South side) St Bartholemew's Church of England School & attached walls & railings

II

School. Founded as a National School in 1847, with late C19 alterations and additions. MATERIALS: Ham Hill stone ashlar, slate roof with stone copings to gable ends and reconstructed stone stack to right gable end. PLAN: L-shaped plan. EXTERIOR: single storey; symmetrical 4-window range. A raised parapet above the gable of the central projecting porch supports a rebuilt gabled belfry; planked double doors are set in a Tudor arch with foliate spandrels and shield stops. Tall 3-light mullioned windows with transoms toward the top, one pane above and 3 below, are under a continuous labelmould. Diagonal buttresses to the corners. A carved scroll above the porch has the inscription " Crewkerne National School, erected 1847". The rear wing to the left four 3-light stone mullioned and transomed windows with cast-iron glazing bars. INTERIOR: The hall to the right has painted stone corbels supporting chamfered arch braces to a roof structure obscured by a suspended ceiling which has large wooden pendants projecting through it. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: A rubblestone plinth with Ham Hill stone coping steps uphill into Barn Street and attaches to the right hand buttress; it supports spearhead railings with scroll supports and double gates to the centre with long/short railings. (Victoria County History: Somerset: Oxford: 1978-: P.9).

Listing NGR: ST4389409581

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 390299

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 9

End of official listing