CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1203609
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Feb-1984
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203609 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 12:06:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Charnock Richard
National Grid Reference:
SD 55315 15782

Details

SD 51 NE CHARNOCK RICHARD CHURCH LANE

5/17 Christ Church (Formerly listed as Church of Christ) 17.4.1967 II

Church, 1856-60, by Harrison of Wigan. Sandstone rubble, roof of hexagonal slates in bands of blue and purple. West tower, nave, chancel with polygonal apse. In mixed style: forms of c.1200 with late Perpendicular details. Narrow 4-stage battlemented tower with diagonal buttresses (crocketed gablets at 1st stage), deeply moulded Tudor-arched west doorway with decorated spandrels, transomed 3-light west window in moulded 2-centred arch with hoodmould; dripstone band; 3 moulded circular clockfaces; 4 transomed 2-light belfry louvres; very prominent gargoyles at the corners, Buttressed 5 bay nave with gabled porch to 2nd bay and 3-light windows in Perpendicular style; chancel has 2 similar windows and coping pierced by mouchettes; 5-sided buttressed apse has transomed 2-light windows with cinque-foils in the heads and a battlemented coping. Interior: scissor-braced hammerbeam roof; dado of apse has Commandment (etc) tables of glazed polychrome tiles; monumental effigy in white marble of Mrs. Frances Darlington (d. 1897)by J. Nesfield Forsyth, 1903. History: built by James Darlington, J.P.,D.C., coal mine proprietor.

Listing NGR: SD5531515782

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357532
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01760/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Finch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].