ARNO'S COURT TRIUMPHAL ARCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1203684

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: ARNO'S COURT TRIUMPHAL ARCH, BATH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ARNO'S COURT TRIUMPHAL ARCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203684 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 04:18:05.

Location

Statutory Address: ARNO'S COURT TRIUMPHAL ARCH, BATH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 61157 71582

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST67SW BATH ROAD, Brislington 901-1/56/428 (North East side) 08/01/59 Arno's Court Triumphal Arch (Formerly Listed as: BATH ROAD (North side) Arno's Court Gateway)

GV II*

Triumphal arch. c1760. Believed to be by James Bridges. For William Reeve. Bath stone. Classically proportioned but with Gothic and Moorish detail, it forms a free-standing wall with tall central round archway flanked by plain arched doors, separated by an impost band from a canopied niche above. The main arch has Gothic moulding with arcaded ornament and imposts; the canopies are carved with fishscale weathered top surface and traceried edge under an ogee moulding, which terminates in a finial, and has blind tracery on the underside; over the main arch projects a panel of stone for an uncarved coat of arms, with a round hood over, running into a string course; the central range is a third higher than the sides and broken forward slightly; the top section contains a niche flanked by terms, and ogee moulding above terminating in a leaf finial; blind tracery and crenellated parapet to sides and centre with Moorish merlons. The niches once contained carvings from the demolished City Gates. Rear elevation much simpler, a carving of the City's coat of arms above main arch. Originally the gateway to Arno's Castle, moved to the entrance to Arno's Court Bath House in 1912. The ovolo mouldings and other evidence lend credence to the theory that the arch may be an original Caroline city gate, but the available evidence supports the 1760 presumption. (Latimer J: The Annals of Bristol in the Eighteenth Century: Bristol: 1887-1908: 377; Grimm S H: Gate at Mt Pleasant, Brislington: 1789-).

Listing NGR: ST6115771582

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 378900

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Grimm, S H, Gate at Mount Pleasant Brislington, (1789)
Latimer, J , The Annals of Bristol in the Eighteenth Century, (1887-1908), 377

End of official listing