Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203690.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:46:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:


SK 15 SE; 5/107


Church of St Leonard




Church. Early C12, C13, C14 and 1881. Rubble limestone with sandstone dressings. Plain tiled roofs with stone coped gables. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel with north vestry.

C12 west tower of three stages, each divided by a chamfer. Flush quoins, Ground stage with a half-blocked, round-headed doorway with a slight chamfer and dripmould, the upper part now a window. The north elevation with a small arrow slit. The second stage has to the south a round headed lancet. The bell stage has to each face 2-light bell openings, set within a blank super-arch with hoodmould and nook shafts to the west elevation. North, south and east bell- openings are partly blocked. Corbel table above and later battlements. The south side of-the nave has a deep, gabled porch with rustic pointed arch. To the left, a C19 pair of pointed lancets under a flat head. To the right, a 2-light C13 window with Y-tracery and to the right again, a small lancet with depressed pointed arch and no dressings. The north side of the nave has two flat-headed post-Medieval mullion windows, one of two and one of three lights. Chancel rebuilt in 1881. On the south side at the junction with the nave is a partly re-used 2-light mid-C14 window with a flat head and cusped ogee lights. To the right, a single lancet, a buttress and a triplet of lancets linked by a hoodmould with minor arches between each lancet, and by a string course which runs at sill level on the south and east sides. 3-light east window with geometric style tracery. Hoodmould with re-used head stops. The north side of the chancel has a vestry of 1881 under a catslide roof and with a gabled entrance forming a dormer. Within the south porch, a much restored EE doorway with single chamfer and a hoodmould. Panelled door.

Early C12 tower arch of two orders, a step and a roll, and an outer roll moulding. Projecting imposts. Double chamfered C13 chancel arch on corbels. North chancel arch C19, in a similar style. Round arch doorway from chancel to vestry. C12 font, much renewed in 1865 when it was restored to the church. Circular bowl and shaft with a cable moulding between. Mid-C14 cusped ogee-arched piscina in the south wall of the chancel. The triplet of lancets on the south side are shafted and the sills are taken down to form sedilia. Early C17 communion rails with turned balusters. On the north wall of the chancel a tomb chest monument to John Millward, died 1632, with standing figures against the chest. Stained glass - west window 1950 by A F Erridge. Nave north east c1930 by F C Eden. Chancel south west, also 1930, by F C Eden. East window of 1893.

Listing NGR: SK1563050164


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10742/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Donald Pittman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].