HAWKSCLOUGH FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204041
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Feb-1984
Statutory Address:
HAWKSCLOUGH FARMHOUSE, PRESTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAWKSCLOUGH FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204041 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 00:46:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
HAWKSCLOUGH FARMHOUSE, PRESTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Clayton-le-Woods
National Grid Reference:
SD 57279 24140

Details

SD 52 SE CLAYTON-LE-WOODS PRESTON ROAD



3/77 Hawksclough Farmhouse 17.4.1967 (Formerly listed as Hawksclough) - II

Farmhouse, c. 1700 Brick, stone slate roof with 2 gable chimneys (that on left cut short) and one chimney behind the ridge. L-shaped plan with 2-storey rear extension to the left. Three storeys, symmetrical, 3 bays, bands on 2 levels; central doorway with gauged brick head and modern glazed porch; 2 large ground floor windows, 2 above them at 1st floor and a smaller 1st floor window in the centre all have gauged segmental brick heads and altered glazing; 2nd floor has oblong casement windows of 3, 2 and 3 lights (apparently blocked). Details of rear and interior not available at survey, but interior said to include small panelled priest's robing room. History: house occupied in early C18 by Burgess family (descendants of C16 bailiff to Townleys of Burnley) whose home was used or Catholic Mass during penal times, until the opening of St. Bedes (q.v.) in 1824.

Listing NGR: SD5727924140

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357593
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/02938/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Finch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].