THE OLD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1204256
Date first listed:
13-Apr-1951
Statutory Address:
THE OLD HOUSE, 18, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204256 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 16:10:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD HOUSE, 18, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Sevenoaks (District Authority)
Parish:
Sevenoaks
National Grid Reference:
TQ 53159 54372

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 1614 (East Side) No 18 (The Old House) TQ 5354/1/8 13.4.51 II* GV 2. Circa 1700. Symmetrical 3.1.3 window facade of 2 storeys with centre pedimented projection. Red brick with blue headers. Flat arches over windows of rubbed red headers. Random stone plinth with red brick quoins and dressings to basement windows. Continuous moulded brick band above ground floor windows with lead arch of rubbed red headers to extreme left above moulded brick band with projecting moulded brick voussoir in centre. This probably indicates that the elevation has been altered at some time and that there was originally a covered yard entrance to extreme left giving access to stables to rear. Heavy, projecting, painted, wooden, moulded, modillioned cornice with concealed boxed leaded gutter and modillioned pediment in centre. Hipped Welsh slate roof with lead ridges and hips. Side elevations with tiled roof. 2 brick stacks symmetrically placed. 4 flat-roofed leaded dormers containing plain wooden casements. Centre C18 panelled door (up 3 stone steps) in moulded doorcase with fanlight over. Fluted Doric pilasters on either side of door with moulded bases and capitals supporting dentilled entablature with triglyph frieze and bowed dentilled pediment above with panelled soffit. Small oval windows with leaded tracery, on either side of doorway. Surround to oval windows of rubbed red headers. 3 sash windows to left on grounds floor with glazing bars intact in moulded exposed frames. 2 similar sash windows to right on ground floor. The third corresponding window to right on ground floor has been divided into 2 slit sash windows with centre mullion. Another small slit sash window has been added to extreme right. First floor with centre sash window over door With glazing bars with hinged casement window inserted on the outside. This centre window is in recessed brick panel. 2 oval windows on either side of centre window, similar to those on either side of doorway on ground floor. 3 sash windows to left on first floor with hinged outer casements. 3 sash windows to right in moulded exposed frames. Painted wooden palings in front of building bordering the street with 4 basement windows and areas. Flat segmental brick arches over basement windows. Late C18 red brick addition to right of main elevation, of 2 storeys with moulded wooden eaves and gutter, and ridge tile roof hipped to right. 2 wide C18 sash windows with glazing bars on ground floor, One similar sash window on first floor. Short brick screen wall to extreme right with C18 century panelled and studded door giving access to passageway at side.

Nos 6 to 24 (even) form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ5315954372

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
172184
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15623/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Eve Wilson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].